Baseball Beats GMU After Losing First-Place Bid

The Colonials knocked off George Mason Tuesday at Barcroft Park to rebound from Monday’s home loss against first-place Richmond. A win Monday would have put GW into first place in the Atlantic 10. Instead, the loss dropped GW into second place with six conference games remaining, including a series against third-place Xavier next weekend.

Tuesday’s 10-7 win marked the second time the Colonials beat George Mason in a week, this time fueled by Matt Krimmel’s seven RBI’s, including an eighth-inning grand slam. Down 7-5 in the seventh after Mike Bassett’s error allowed GMU’s Robbie Robertson to score from second, Krimmel’s blast to right field put the Colonials up 10-7.

Krimmel’s first blast was a three-run homerun in the fourth inning that gave GW an early 5-2 lead.

His offensive performance compensated for starter Chris Worth, who continued to struggle on the mound. Worth allowed five earned runs in five and one-third innings to raise his ERA to a team-high 8.15.

Relievers Mike O’Connor and Justin Orenduff were solid for the Colonials, as Orenduff (7-2) got the win, pitching a scoreless last two innings. O’Connor retired the last batter of the game, notching his eighth save of the season to bounce back after giving up two ninth-inning home runs in Monday’s loss.

Monday’s conference battle ended in dramatic fashion, as GW saw its 10-8 lead and first-place hopes slip away in the last two innings.

O’Connor allowed a run in the eighth inning before giving up the tying and go-ahead homeruns in the ninth. Bassett reached scoring position with one out in the bottom of the ninth, but GW could not capitalize.

GW began the game with strong hitting, as a three-run homerun by catcher Jeff Fertitta started a six-run second inning that put GW ahead 6-3. The game see-sawed from there with the Spiders’ five-run fourth inning gave Richmond the lead and Fertitta’s fifth-inning homerun and Krimmel’s blast put GW back ahead 10-8.

GW’s Greg Conden (8-2) was not as sharp as usual, allowing six earned runs on nine hits in five innings. Conden had allowed only 29 earned runs going into the game.

GW reliever Dan Sullivan allowed two hits in two scoreless innings.