Around Campus

Tau Kappa Epsilon to host Keg Olympics

The Tau Kappa Epsilon and Theta Delta Chi fraternities will be sponsoring the second annual Keg Olympics Saturday.

Senior Jason Blank, the event’s creator and organizer, said the games will raise money for Students Against Destructive Decisions for the second year. Blank, a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon said the event raised “a few hundred dollars” last year.

From noon to 4 p.m. at 23rd Street and Constitution Avenue, sororities and fraternities will compete in five events involving kegs, including a keg toss and a keg roll. Blank said he expects more fraternities and sororities to participate than last year.

“This is one of the few times during the year, outside Greek Week, that sees all the groups getting together,” Blank said. He noted that all Greek-letter groups, including members of the Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Association and National Panhellenic Association, are invited to participate.

The Keg Olympics will be followed by a barbecue on Kogan Plaza at 5 p.m.

Blank said he hopes the event will become a permanent fixture on campus.

“I would like to come back in 10 years and see it still happening,” Blank said.

SJT wins honorary awards

University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg was elected a fellow in the American Society of Arts and Sciences and named one of D.C.’s Fathers of the Year by the Father’s Day Council.

The American Society’s class of 2002 includes 177 fellows and 30 foreign honorary members.

Trachtenberg will be inducted alongside Senator Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.), violinist Itzhak Perlman and Academy Award winner Anjelica Huston among others in a new fellows ceremony at academy headquarters in Cambridge, Mass. Oct. 5.

New fellows and members are nominated by existing academy members and judged by their leadership contributions. Membership currently includes more than 150 Nobel laureates and 50 Pulitzer Prize winners.

Trachtenberg was named one of five D.C. Fathers of the Year alongside Democratic National Committee Chairman Terence McAuliffe; Abe Pollin, Washington Wizards owner and chairman of the board for the Centre Group; retired Judge Stanley Sporkin and H. Patrick Swygert, president of Howard University.

Trachtenberg has two sons with his wife Francine. Adam Maccabbe graduated from Columbia University in 1997, while Ben Lev graduated from Yale University in 2001.

The Fathers of the Year Awards dinner is set for June 6 at the J.W. Marriott Hotel, with proceeds going to the American Diabetes Association.

GW honors third annual Wall of Fame students

GW will honor students, faculty and staff who have made contributions to the campus community Thursday 4-6 p.m. in the Hippodrome as part of the third annual Wall of Fame ceremony.

Each person being recognized will have a caricature placed on the Wall of Fame.

The honorees include Student Association President Roger Kapoor, recently named to USA Today’s All Academic Team, and Gerald Feldman, associate professor of physics and the Carnegie Foundation’s 2001 D.C. Professor of the Year. Robert Chernak, vice president for student and academic support services, will also be added to the wall.

MVC hosts stress relief on the Quad

The Student Development Center and Recreational Sports and Fitness Center are sponsoring yoga on the Mount Vernon Campus Quad Friday from noon to 1 p.m.

The event is free and part of the Student Activities Center Stress Free Zone.

Other Stress Free Zone events include free five-minute massages from 3 to 5 p.m. May 6 and free “Koffee and Krispy Kremes” May 7. The Student Development Center will also offer giveaways and stress-relief tips at the Mount Vernon Pub & Grill.

-Amanda Mantone

GW employees walk for breast cancer

Five GW employees in the Admissions and Student and Academic Support Services Communications offices will walk in the 60-mile Avon Breast Cancer 3-Day walk to benefit research and care for patients this weekend.

The walk is from Baltimore to D.C.

“I think we’re all walking for different reasons,” said Alyson Rappaport, who works in SASS Communications.

The employees that will join Rappaport, on a walking team known as “George’s Gorgeous Girls,” are:

o Jane Alexander, crew member (Admissions)

o Carol Capece, walker (SASS Communications/Admissions)

o Christie Marshall, walker (Admissions)

o Fiona Rees, walker (Admissions)

o Leah Rosen, walker (SASS Communications)

Each walker has raised more than $1,900 for a total of $16,070.

-Kate Stepan