Around Campus

Students discuss Sex in the Univer-city

GW student group Voices for Choices is coordinating with D.C.’s Planned Parenthood host a “Safer Sex in the Univer-city” party Tuesday from 8 to 10 p.m. in the Thurston Hall TV lounge.

Condoms and information about safe sex and birth control will be distributed to students, and Kim Buck of D.C.’s Planed Parenthood will discuss safe sex options. Funding for the event and other Voices for Choices events comes from Planned Parenthood and the Student Activities Center.

Freshman Emily Goodstein, who founded Voices for Choices last semester, said she wants to “make (the event) fun, informal and not stuffy.”

Goodstein said there was no exclusively pro-choice organization when she came to GW, and she founded the group so students would have an outlet to discuss safer sex.

Goodstein said her organization has been successful so far, and the Safer Sex event is its third activity. She said 50 people attended the first meeting, and there are about 20 regular members.

For more information about Voices for Choices, contact Goodstein at [email protected].

Rock band headlines Fountain Day

Students will celebrate the spring as the Mount Vernon Campus fountain is turned on for the first time this year. Fountain Day 2002 will take place on the Mount Vernon Quad Tuesday from 4 to 7 p.m. The rain location is the Mount Vernon Pub and Grill. There will be food, games, caricatures, mendhi (ITALICIZE) artists and music by Graham Colton.

Twenty-year-old tenor Graham Colton started the group after his freshman year of college at Southern Methodist University. Guitarist Drew Nichols, bassit Ryan Tallent and drummer Jordan Elder round out the band’s sound, which has been compared to Duncan Sheik and the Wallflowers.

Animals invade Kogan Plaza

Llamas, donkeys, rabbits and birds will greet students on Kogan Plaza Tuesday when GW sets up its own petting zoo.

Students will get the chance to play with barnyard animals in anticipation of Midnight Breakfast on Thursday, which has a barnyard theme.

The event lasts from noon to 4 p.m. and is sponsored by the Student Activities Center and Marvin Center Scheduling and Events.

Free ice cream will be offered.

Students de-stress during exams

The Liquid Arts Exposition will kick off the Student Activities Center’s Stress Free Zone Wednesday at 9 p.m. at the Hippodrome.

Liquid Arts, GW’s underground arts club, will host its second event in the past two weeks to showcase its best dancers.

Liquid Arts’ mission is to unite members of a multicultural university like GW’s.

“Art is never decoration, embellishment,” President Bruce Lee said. “Instead, it is a work of enlightenment.”

At Midnight Breakfast Thursday from 10:30 p.m.to 12:30 a.m., students
will eat a late-night snack while dancing, playing games and attempting to win prizes.

Elections for class council representatives will also be held at the Midnight Breakfast.

Other Stress Free Zone events include Starbucks Late Night May 2-9, where Starbucks will stay open until 2 a.m.; yoga on the Mount Vernon Quad Friday at 12:30 p.m.; Cinco de Mayo Mock-garitas on the Quad Sunday at 3 p.m.; free massages at the Hippodrome May 6 at 11 a.m.; ice cream on Kogan Plaza May 7 at 2 p.m. and a Sno-cone break at Gelman Library May 10 at 9 p.m.

Faculty dance showcases talent

Five faculty members of the GW Department of Theatre and Dance will direct dance company productions Friday and Saturday.

Dana Tai Soon Burgess and Company, Clancy Works, Mills/Buckley Works, Kista Tucker Dance Company and Maida Withers Dance Construction Company will perform their pieces at the Marvin Center Dorothy Betts Theatre.

The Kista Tucker Dance company was founded in 1998 by Tucker, a visiting dance professor. Performances, workshops and classes are used in Tucker’s company to stimulate physical, intellectual and spiritual growth.

Professor of Dance Maida Withers is the Artistic Director and founder of Maida Withers and the Dance Construction Company, a not-for-profit arts organization created in 1974 to perform original dance works. Withers has toured in countries including Mexico, Brazil and Norway.

The dance show will be held from 7:30- 9:30 p.m. at Betts Theatre and costs $8 for students and $12 for the general public.

Film series ends with Mitchell Hall namesake

The GW in film series will screen its last film of the semester, Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell (IALICIZE), Wednesday.

The film is the true story of GW alumnus and Mitchell Hall namesake General Billy Mitchell’s crusade for the U.S. Army’s Air Corp during World War I. The film came out in 1955 and stars Gary Cooper as Mitchell.

Sponsored by University Events, the film will be held from 8 to 11 p.m. in Marvin Center Room 307.

-Julie Gordon