Around Campus

Busta Rhymes headlines Spring Fling

The Program Board will host the annual Spring Fling Saturday from 12 to 6 p.m. with headliner Busta Rhymes performing in late afternoon in front of Gelman Library.

The event will include other musical acts on H Street and food and amusements spread throughout Kogan Plaza and the Quad. Companies such as Nintendo and Nantucket Nectar will get free space to hand out products to students.

PB Concerts Chair Josh Bhatti said the event will not disrupt the Law School reading period because all music will be on H Street, facing 21st Street.

-Russ Rizzo

SMPA plans production showcase

The School of Media and Public Affairs will host a film festival to showcase the work of members of the SMPA community Saturday.

The event will last from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and will allow the GW community to see work produced by SMPA students and staff members in audio and video electronic media classes.

The showcase will be held in MPA building room B07 and there will be a reception afterwards with a question and answer with creators.

HOVA sponsors freshman formal

The Hall on Virginia Avenue council will sponsor the first annual freshman formal Saturday at the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill.

Black tie dress is optional and there will be food and dancing 8 p.m. to midnight.

Tickets are on sale at Marvin Center Ticketmaster and cost $25 a person.

GW hosts basketball camp

GW will hold a basketball camp, run by men’s coach Karl Hobbs, June 17-21 and 24-28.

The camp is held in the Smith Center (22nd and G streets) from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and is open for boys ages 8-16.

The camp takes place Monday through Friday and includes swimming, coaching tips from the GW basketball staff, games, drills and lunch.

The registration fee for a child of a GW employee or Colonials season ticket holder is $200 a week. All others pay $250 for the week. Parents who enroll their children for both weeks receive a discount of $150.

For more information and or an application, contact Shirlynn Jones at (202) 994-6651 or visit the Web site Gwsports.fansonly.com.

Students form GW Alpha Iota Mu chapter

Alpha Iota Mu, an international honors society, was brought to campus April 12 by a group of students from the School of Business and Public Management.

The society is dedicated to excellence in the field of information systems and inducted a first class of 35 graduate and undergraduate students.

Members must have at least a 3.7 and submit a recommendation from a GW faculty member to join.

Ravens coach to discuss NFL business

Baltimore Ravens head coach Brian Billick will discuss management philosophy and human resources within the National Football League Thursday from 11 a.m. to noon in Hall of Government room 105.

Billick has worked with NFL hall of fame coach Bill Walsh in writing books outlining how to create a successful NFL team. Topics include organizing practice schedules and management structures.

Billick led the Ravens to a 2000 Super Bowl victory in his second season as head coach.

-Trevor Martin

Mount Vernon hosts poetry festival

The 24th annual Mount Vernon Poetry Festival, sponsored by the English Department, will take place Friday from 3 to 5 p.m. in Eckles Library on the Mount Vernon Campus.

Students submissions from Trinity College, the University of D.C., GW and George Mason, Maryland, Georgetown, Catholic and American universities will compete at the festival. Two local award-winning poets, Terence Winch and Sharan Strange, will judge the event.

GW’s entry, senior Susanna Coates, won this year’s Academy of American Poets prize given by GW and will compete against the other undergraduate student poets.

Refreshments will be served, and the event is open to the public.

Fulbright stop only for weekdays

The Mount Vernon campus shuttle will now stop behind Fulbright Hall on H Street on weekdays from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Ambulatory Care Center shuttle stop on 22nd and I streets will be used for all other times.

GW originally announced it would use the Fulbright stop during the day on both weekdays and weekends. Shuttle departure times remain the same.

-Erin Gamble