Staff editorial: Prior restraint

Hillel Director Simon Amiel displayed poor judgement when he denied five Arab students entrance to Hillel on Friday for an open forum with former Israeli Defense Force soldiers. At a time when communication and interaction between Jewish and Arab students is already strained, a campus activity should be just that – open to the entire campus.

On Friday, Hillel hosted three speakers who had served in the Israeli army to talk to students on the Jewish sabbath. The only students who were denied entrance were turned away because they were either Palestinian or appeared to represent a Palestinian viewpoint in the current Mideast conflict. Amiel cited rumors of a possible protest and violent incidents at other campuses as reasons for his decision, but there should be stronger reasons for denying students the opportunity to take part in a campus event.

Graduate student Hussam Mustafa, one of the students denied at the door, attended a similar event last Tuesday when Israeli Transportation Minister Ephraim Sneh spoke. Many students in attendance said his questions were peaceful and respectful, and his presence was not a disruption.

All students should be allowed to attend campus events and not be asked to leave unless they do something objectionable. Asking serious questions of opposing views is not objectionable.