Conden goes the distance for a win

The Colonials exploded for a four-run fifth inning, erasing a three-run deficit to beat Dayton 7-4 Saturday. Starter Greg Conden (7-2) fanned four in his fourth complete game of the season.

Rain delayed the start of the game, which pushed back the second game of a doubleheader to Sunday. Both games scheduled Sunday were canceled.

Down 4-1 in the top of the fifth, GW’s (8-2) four-run rally started with Jake Wald’s single up the leftfield line. That scored Anthony Raglani, who had reached on a lead-off walk, and Ryan Roberson. Wald scored a run on a wild pitch after advancing to second on a passed ball and stealing third, tying the game at four runs apiece. Tony Dokoupil scored the go-ahead run off a Matt Krimmel double.

Dayton’s Aaron Pahs relieved starter Jake Hanson, who allowed five runs on six hits. RBI singles by Chris Barry and Jeff Fertitta gave GW two extra runs and a 7-4 lead.

Conden – who leads the team in innings pitched (57) and is second to reliever Mike O’Connor in strikeouts with 38 – contained Dayton for much of the game. The Flyers (7-3) scored all their runs in the first two innings. After a first run scored on a wild pitch in the first inning, a two-run double by Aaron Reesh made it 3-0. The Flyers added another in the second on a fielder’s choice to go ahead 4-1.

With the victory and a recent win over Delaware State, GW moves into sole possession of third place in the Atlantic 10 West, while the Flyers fall to fourth place. Xavier (9-1) stays in second place with a weekend sweep of La Salle, while undefeated Richmond (11-0) leads the division.