Anchor Bowl benefits charities for the blind

As Delta Tau Delta pledge Kenny Norden played a Tenacious D song on the guitar, fellow pledge Jake Bedor began to belt out the words. With microphone in hand and wearing only a strategically placed black sock, Bedor was accompanied by two Delta Tau Delta members in full Winnie-the-Pooh regalia Friday night in Funger Hall.

The fraternity skit was just one event in this year’s Anchor Bowl, hosted by the Delta Gamma sorority. The week-long event is a 50-year tradition for the national sorority and has become a GW fundraiser in which campus fraternities annually compete in various events, including skits, flag football, penny wars and a competition to become Mr. Anchorman. It was originally named “Anchor Splash” in 1952.

“Anchor Bowl is always an event that sisters look forward to,” event coordinator Mary Tess Driver said.

Anchor Bowl raises money for Delta Gamma’s national foundation, Service for Sight, which helps blind people. The sorority contributed 50 percent of its earnings to the charity, dividing the other half evenly between a local charity for the blind and a September 11 scholarship fund. Driver, a sophomore, estimates that Delta Gamma raised $2,500 this year, an increase from last year’s $1,500.

Representatives from all of GW’s sororities acted as judges and volunteers in the week-long competition. Each Delta Gamma member was assigned as a captain of a competing fraternity.

The week’s events culminated in Saturday’s football tournament on the National Mall. Events spanned the entire week, with much of the competition happening on Friday and Saturday. Delta Tau Delta dominated the football tournament, and Lambda Chi Alpha took home the gold for the entire competition by winning the most points throughout the week.

Beta Theta Pi member Jeremy Gordon, a sophomore, was crowned Mr. Anchorman after wowing an audience Friday night with his piano skills, performing a compilation of pop and jazz favorites. Gordon is a music student and member of GW’s jazz band, King James and the Serfs of Swing. He also has his own jazz trio.

Gordon put the medley together the night before he performed it, saying he was “surprised and flattered” at the title.

Delta Gamma members said they were pleased with the turnout.

“This event is good for sisterhood bonding and really brings Greeks together,” said junior Carla Graves, Delta Gamma president.

Graves said Delta Gamma members look forward to the fundraiser every year and have worked hard for the past three months to put everything together.

Erin Karp, a sophomore and Kappa Kappa Gamma member, said she attended to support her friends in other sororities.

“I’m here to support Delta Gamma,” Karp said. “As a member of any sorority, it’s important that we’re all there for each other.”

Junior Scott Sigel of Phi Kappa Psi participated in his fraternity’s skit. He said he chose to participate because “it’s a good event to raise money, and it’s nice to get together as a Greek community and have some fun.”

Sponsors included several local businesses, fraternity and sorority parents, raffles and fraternity member contributions through entrance fees and donated funds.