Filling fare found at southern belle

Great atmosphere and top-notch food make Georgia Brown’s an enjoyable dining experience for any occasion. Located at 15th and K streets, this southern belle serves up fresh dishes and deliciously creative cocktails.

This chic and trendy restaurant has a creatively decorated dining room, adorned with funky furniture and a canopy of branches spanning the ceiling. Celebrity sightings are frequent and always exciting, especially for basketball fans, as veterans and rookies alike are patrons of this sweet spot.

Buttermilk biscuits and corn bread, with honey peach butter, are served with the menus and offer a tasty tease to start the meal. Appetizers such as the fried calamari, fried green tomatoes and catfish fingers are delicious enough to justify a trip.

All of the food follows a southern theme but is not heavy or greasy like traditional southern fried food. The fried chicken is prepared with a buttermilk batter and is served with collared greens and potatoes.

Offered as an extension of the appetizers is the catfish, prepared in the same way but served with vegetables. The sugar and spice pork chop is as delicious as it sounds. The chop is prepared with bourbon and maple syrup and is served with yams and string beans.

For vegetarians there are fish and vegetarian dishes like shrimp and grits and vegetarian “chicken” croquettes.

Traditional dessert items are on the menu, but there is one that stands out from the rest: sweet potato cheesecake. The rich sweet potato cheesecake sits on a cinnamon graham cracker crust and is topped with pecans and whipped cream. For simple pleasures, there are mixed berries with cream, key lime pie and a snickers pie also on the menu.
All around Georgia Brown’s offers an exciting dining experience filled from start to finish with great tasting food and a homey atmosphere.