Women’s water polo defeats Bucknell, Villanova

The GW women’s water polo team defeated Bucknell and Villanova but lost to Princeton in Lewisburg, Pa., last weekend. In the last matches before the Southern Championships, GW improved its record to 14-5 overall and 6-2 in conference play.

GW head coach Scott Reed said that, despite the two victories, turnovers plagued the Colonials all weekend. GW registered 17 such mistakes in its opener against Bucknell and 18 against Princeton.

“As a team, we played well,” Reed said, “but individually, it was not one of our best performances.”

GW defeated Bucknell 9-8 Friday on a Kendra Shanley goal with 1:45 remaining in regulation.

Bucknell had two opportunities to tie the game in the last minute but could not connect, Reed said.

On Saturday, GW opened against Princeton, which is leading the Mid-Atlantic region and defeated GW 9-4 earlier this season. The Colonials led 3-2 early on but fell behind and took a two-goal deficit into halftime en route to an 11-8 defeat.

“We shot ourselves in the foot with turnovers,” he said. “We can’t afford to make so many mistakes.”

GW finished the weekend with a 12-8 victory over Villanova and will learn Monday which seed it will be heading into next week’s Southern Championships

Jeff Nelson