Ecstasy seizure nets no other arrest

City drug investigators say no other arrests have been made or are planned in connection with a large amount of ecstasy found in a second-floor Fulbright Hall room search last week.

Dolores Stafford, director of the University Police Department, declined to comment last week on an administrative search that uncovered 500 ecstasy pills, a half-pound of hashish and a cigar filled with marijuana, citing further Metropolitan Police Department investigations.

“I guess what they’re trying to do is scare people,” MPD Sgt. Sam Delisi said when asked about UPD reports of pending investigations surrounding sophomore Christopher Schrader’s arrest for intent to distribute.

Stafford confirmed that no more arrests were made and directed all other questions to MPD.

Delisi is part of MPD’s Focus Mission Unit that netted six arrests in undercover investigations at American University last month.

Delisi said UPD contacted D.C. police when GW officials uncovered the drugs. He said Schrader received the package of pills in the mail from “a place like Amsterdam” and MPD turned the case over to the Drug Enforcement Agency because it involves international distribution. Delisi said the unit is too involved with robbery investigations to go after a dealer abroad.

Schrader told MPD he intended to give the pills to someone else to sell, Delisi said, adding that he doubts the story.

He said similar investigations are likely for GW and other nearby universities.

“Are we on GW doing anything right now? No, not yet,” he said.
Delisi said his unit is focusing more attention on area colleges after investigators were surprised how easy it was to find drugs at American.

“Because of AU, we’re realizing that things are a little more out of control than we thought,” Delisi said.

He said a stranger could bring “a wheelbarrow” into a dorm and come out with it full of drugs. He said students were making drug transactions worth thousands of dollars at a time.

The three-month investigation at American “started just like GW just happened,” Delisi said. American contacted MPD after recovering mushrooms and marijuana in one student’s room. After undercover work, MPD eventually tracked six student dealers.

Delisi said students at American were “blatant” about the fact that drugs were available to buy in dorms. He said some students who did not want drugs in their residences came forward with information but most was gathered by asking around.

Delisi’s advice for GW students: “Just tell everybody to just say no, and everyone be fine.”

-Artemy Kalinovsky contributed to this report.