Around Campus: Briefs

Jay Leno to perform Colonial Weekend

Comedian Jay Leno, host of NBC’s “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” will give two performances on Oct. 12 in the Smith Center as part of GW’s first annual Colonial Weekend.

Shows will begin at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. and tickets are $47.50 for adults and $32.50 for students from Ticketmaster.

Colonial Weekend merges several events that have been spread out over a longer period of time in the past including Alumni Weekend and Family Weekend.

The Office of Parent Services and Office of Alumni Relations are planning the weekend, which will include the traditional Midnight Madness basketball season opener, campus tours and club reunions for alumni.

Other Colonial Weekend information can be found at http://gwired.gwu.edu/parents.

SA hosts date auction

The Student Association will host a date auction April 4 at 8 p.m. in the Hippodrome.

The “Food and Friends” auction will give students the chance to bid on members of several campus organizations including the SA, Program Board, Marvin Center Governing Board, Residence Hall Association, Hillel, Panhellenic Council, Black Student Union and Office of Community Service.

The SA will also offer pre-paid “night on the town packages,” which will include dinners at area restaurants and other entertainment.

All profits from the date auction will be donated to the Food and Friends network, an organization that offers free meals to AIDS patients.

Lambda Chi Alpha hosts Watermelon Fest Olympics

The Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity will host its annual Watermelon Fest Olympics philanthropy event April 7 on the Quad.

The event will begin at 12 p.m. and include teams of sororities competing in Olympic-style events with Watermelons.

All proceeds will be donated to the Capitol Area Food Bank.

Nominations being accepted for Kenny prize

Nominations are currently being accepted for the annual Robert W. Kenny prize to be given to a faculty member in the arts and sciences who has made a lasting impression on students.

The Kenny prize is given each year in commemoration of the former dean, who was known for offering students unique experiences when they began their GW careers.

Students may nominate faculty members who have taught basic classes in an imaginative fashion.

The course selected must meet the following criteria:

– taught by a full-time instructor in the Columbian College or Elliott School

– taught during the Fall 2001 or Spring 2002 semesters

The nomination package must include:

– a letter of no more than two pages describing how the faculty member’s approach to teaching is innovative, creative and/or original.

– a similar letter from two other students in the same course describing how the instructor has offered an imaginative, unique experience.

Nomination packages should be sent to Eydie Costantino in Phillips 212 or via e-mail to [email protected] no later than April 5.

GW participates in National Student Employment Week

The University will honor all students who balance an academic course-load and job April 7-13 as part of the National Student Employment Week.

The week was designated by the National Student Employment Association and serves to honor GW students who make contributions to the local and University workforce.

The highlight of the week will be a ceremony in which this year’s awards for employee of the year and co-op employee of the year will be given.

The ceremony will be held April 11 at 10:30 a.m. in Marvin Center room 310. President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg will attend the event to recognize award winners.

Senior class counsel plans trip to Orioles game

The senior class counsel is planning a trip to Camden Yards in Baltimore to watch the Orioles play Boston Red Sox April 5.

Tickets are $10 from the Marvin Center Ticketmaster outlet and students should purchase tickets at the same time if they want seats together.

Ticket holders should meet at 2 p.m. in Kogan Plaza to ride on the bus to Baltimore. Seniors should bring any candid photos they want included in the senior slide show and class gift.

-Trevor Martin