Letters to the Editor

Jacobsen rebuked

We find it disgraceful that newly-elected Student Association Sen. Don Jacobsen (G-CCAS) has started his Senate career by insulting his fellow members. As the two graduate senators currently representing the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, we are dumbfounded at his accusations and assumptions. Jacobsen has no prior experience and no exposure to the SA. His liberal use of the term “coalition” is also disturbing.

During the course of the past year, the two graduate senators from CCAS have worked with the entire Senate to pass legislation that we believed benefited both graduate and undergraduate students. We have been given no cause to believe that any other member of the SA has not acted in the same manner.

We are also put off by the obvious back-stabbing Jacobsen has committed toward Executive Vice President-elect Eric Daleo. From what we understand, Daleo encouraged Jacobsen to run. It is disappointing that Jacobsen would attack Daleo to get his name in The Hatchet.

We agree that graduate students need to be included in the Senate, but using Daleo as a scapegoat certainly gives the rest of the SA a good indication of what type of senator Jacobsen may turn out to be. Our experiences on the SA have been one of working together unity, and mutual respect. For a “newbie” to come in and tell us otherwise is insulting. We hope that instead of bashing fellow senators, Jacobsen will learn to work with all senators and continue the excellent work the SA has accomplished this year.

-Maureen Benitz, (G-CCAS)
Blake Newmark, (G-CCAS)

$36,000 for this?

On March 12, the Students for Accountability held their first meeting in the Hippodrome – with powerful results.

Approximately 50 students braved the rain and midterm angst to say loud and clear that they want to change their University: to change it for them, to change it for their fellow students, to change it for the University employees. We discussed the problems that were important to us and how to solve them. Our next step is to enact a solution-oriented agenda for making positive and meaningful change.

It is about time that students got together in a directed forum to improve life on this campus. Finally we have a group that is fighting for students’ rights, knows how to solve a problem and won’t take no for an answer.

-Brian Miller, junior

Patient morality

The ongoing conflict between GW and the Foggy Bottom community has a much simpler, more inexpensive solution than the $500,000 bribe currently being offered by the University.

As I and many of my classmates see it, our solution, what we like to call “mortality eventuality,” should take between five and 10 years to be achieved. In our plan for GW’s future, we see the University hunkering down, turning the other cheek and waiting out the remaining lives of Foggy Bottom’s, older, non-student population. Residents have often referred to themselves as a dying breed as they battle the encroaching University, and they are correct in their description in a larger sense.

These individuals should be politely ignored for the next decade, as more and more of them relocate to cemeteries. Only then can GW exert full power over its D.C. domain.

-Jon Reiling, sophomore