James Madison knocks Rasowsky out early

Despite knocking 14 hits on Wednesday, the GW baseball team stranded 13 runners in a 7-4 loss to visiting James Madison University at Barcroft Park. GW starting pitcher Avi Rasowsky (0-2) gave up four earned runs on seven hits and three home runs before being pulled by head coach Tom Walter after three innings.

“Avi didn’t pitch well today,” Walter said. “His offspeed pitches were good, but he just didn’t have his fastball today. And against a good team like James Madison, you need to be able to pitch with your fastball.”

Walter said the runners left on base underscored GW’s current hitting slump.

“We’re just not swinging the bats very well right now,” he said. “The good news is we’re still not that far off pace from where we were last year or in recent years, so I’m still happy with where we are right now.”

GW had won nine of its last 11 games heading in to the contest.

JMU centerfielder Kurt Isenberg, who hit three homeruns, knocked in two early runs in the first inning. Another run came off an RBI ground out by designated hitter Steve Ballowe. The Dukes doubled their lead in the fourth inning when leftfielder Travis Ebaugh and first baseman Eddie Kim both homered off Rasowsky.

GW, which lost to JMU 17-6 earlier this season, scored its four runs in the last three innings off RBI’s from four players. Two of the runs came in the team’s failed rally attempt in the bottom of the ninth inning. After Matt Krimmel and Anthony Raglani scored to bring the score to 7-4, catcher Joe Michalski knocked a shot to Dukes shortstop Nathan Doyle that ended the game with Tony Dokoupil stranded on base.

Senior rightfielder Mike Bassett, who broke a school record with his 196th career RBI on Sunday against St. Joseph’s, did not play. Walter said he turned his ankle right before the game started.

“Mike could have played,” he said. “But we wanted to be safe and rest him for this weekend.”

The Colonials travel to Massachusetts for an Atlantic 10 battle this weekend.