Around Campus: Briefs

Robinson announces SA openings

Student Association President-elect Phillip Robinson announced the openings for the 2002-03 executive branch.

Available positions include slots for eight vice presidents, several directors, various committee heads and SA representatives to University committees.

Applications are available online at gwu.edu/~pjlaw and must be submitted to Robinson’s mailbox located in the Marvin Center room 424. Applicants should e-mail [email protected] to confirm that the application has been received. Applications will be considered on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Applicants must include a resume and cover letter. Interviews will begin April 8.

Intramural tournament to raise funds

The winners of the recent GW intramural basketball tournament will face intramural teams from other area schools in an effort to raise money for the homeless.

The tournament, called “Hoops for the Homeless,” will take place April 6-7 at American University’s Bender Arena.

Eight teams from universities such as GW, Georgetown, American, Howard and Marymount will play in the tournament to benefit outreach programs like Miriam’s Kitchen.

Newly-crowned Miss U.S.A. Shauntay Hinton will deliver the keynote address at the tournament, and the Washington Mystics professional women’s basketball team will participate in a slam dunk contest.

GW’s team of students is composed of eight graduate and undergraduates.

Tickets are $3 a day for students when purchased at the door. Ticket price includes a free T-shirt and all attendees are eligible to win free prizes during the weekend.

Taekwondo club celebrates tenth anniversary

GW’s Taekwondo club will holding a cake reception Thursday to commemorate its history at the University.

The club was formed in 1992 as a response to the growing interest in martial arts training.

The club recently held a book drive to collect martial arts literature for the Gelman Library.

The group reported that more than 25 books were collected in the drive. The reception, from 6- 8 p.m. in the University Club at 1918 F St., is also aimed to recognize the success of the project.

ABA president will lecture on legal practice

American Bar Association President Robert E. Hirshon will lecture on “meeting the challenges of the legal practice” 4:30 p.m. April 2 in Lerner Hall 201.

The lecture is part of the 22nd annual Manuel F. Cohen memorial series and is titled “Take Back the Future: A Guide to Meeting the Challenges of Legal Practice.”

Hirshon is currently serving a one-year term as president of the ABA and has practiced in both state and federal courts.

Hillel prepares Passover Seder

The GW Hillel will host an “InStyle” Passover Seder Monday 7-9 p.m. at the Hillel on 23rd and H streets.

The Seder will include massages, food and relaxation.

Hillel will also give away DVD players and a subscription to InStyle magazine.

Professor co-authors “newcomer’s handbook”

English professor Ricia Chansky helped expand the third edition of the “Newcomer’s Handbook for Washington D.C.” by adding content to the chapter of the guide about cultural life in the District.

The handbook, authored by Mike Livingston, is aimed at new residents who plan to stay in the area for a long period of time. It addresses all 35 neighborhoods and includes information on finding a home, getting around the area and obtaining a local driver’s license.

The newest edition is twice as long as the original, with more than 200 pages of advice.

Chansky has taught in GW’s English department for the past six years and has received several awards for her poetry.

-Trevor Martin

CBS screens movie at GW

CBS Sports screened its documentary “Glory in Black and White: The Story of the 1966 NCAA Basketball Champions” with a group of GW students and invited guests at Monday night. After the movie in Corcoran Hall, CBS commentator Guss Johnson led a panel discussion that included film producers George Roy and Steve Stern, Washington Post columnist Michael Wilbon, Tom McMillen, NBA star and congressman, and GW head basketball coach Karl Hobbs.

In the 1966 NCAA Championship game, the Miners of Texas Western (now the University of Texas- El Paso), an all-black team, beat Adolph Rupp’s Kentucky Wildcats, an all-white team. Texas coach Don Haskin’s five black starters dispelled the popular belief at the time that, while they were stronger and more athletic, black players did not posses the mental ability needed to win.

CBS will air the 90 minute-documentary Sunday, March 31 at 4:30 p.m. during CBS Sports’ Final Four coverage of the 2002 NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship.

-Lauren Silva