SA president-elect discusses goals

Newly elected Student Association President Phillip Robinson set up hefty goals for his platform but said he has the initiative and support to see them carried out.

Robinson said his first priorities are to make sure an SA phone help hotline is set up, the new Elliott School of International Affairs residence hall is open by August and sign language courses stay on campus. He also plans to meet freshmen as soon as they arrive on campus.

“Too many students don’t know what to do, and we’re here to help them on their way,” Robinson said.

Robinson’s primary platform idea was to initiate a student help hotline.

“While I was campaigning, I told students the idea, and they said it would be a God-send,” Robinson said.

He said planning has already begun researching how to get the funding, reserve space in the Marvin Center and train new student staffers.

Robinson said he will talk with the Colonial Inauguration representatives and find out how they train their students about solving problems at GW.

“The SA will hire work-study students, and my campaign staff will manage the hotline until students are hired,” he said.

Robinson said he came up with the idea after many students told him they did not know where to ask questions about the campus.

His plan is to have the office open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. for students to call in or come by with issues.

Robinson used the examples of having financial aid dates, phone numbers for offices and administrators and having housing information available.

Robinson also said it would cut down on the “bureaucracy” across campus.

“We would try to reach out to each department and have them cut down the hassle,” Robinson said.

Robinson also plans to organize student leader conferences, SA suggestion boxes and a Student Activities Center master calendar of events, he said.

As president of the Black Student Union, Robinson said students often tell him they did not know when events were taking place because “they couldn’t sort through 50 fliers on a bulletin board.”

Robinson said he wants SAC to create a master calendar of events to help student groups organize events and ensure they do not overlap with larger events that would take away their audience.

He said he also plans on reviving town-hall meetings with administrators and a monthly insert in The Hatchet to tell students about important SA dates and projects.

“Hopefully a year from now, students won’t see the SA as a joke, nor just a bank,” Robinson said. “I’m getting a lot of positive feedback from students, and I’m ready to make things happen.”