Michigan State snaps GW winning streak

Michigan State outscored the GW gymnastics team on the beam and bars in a 195.350-194.650 win Saturday night that snapped GWOs three-meet winning streak on senior night. GW lost despite outstanding performances from seniors Devin McCalla and Jessica Mantak, who placed first and second in the all-around competition in their final performance at the Smith Center.

MSU won with solid team scores on all four events. Junior Christy Linder tied for first in the vault and Julie Devaty won the beam with a 9.900 to led the Spartans. Devaty also finished in a four-way tie for third on the floor exercise with a 9.850.

As they have done consistently this season, McCalla and Mantak teamed up to lead the Colonials. McCallaOs all-around score of 39.425 earned her a fifth all-around title, and a 9.925 matched her season best on the floor exercise.

MantakOs 39.325, a new career-high, was good for second in the all-around. She tied for first on the vault with a 9.850.

GWOs lowest team scores came on the two events that have given them trouble this season: the bars and the beam. MSU outscored GW 48.575 to 48.225 n the bars and 48.900 to 48.200 on the beam.

GW head coach Margie Foster-Cunningham said her Colonials would concentrate on the beam and bar routines before they head to A-10Os March 23 to defend their title.

It was the last home meet for Colonials senior gymnasts. GW head coach Margie Foster-Cunningham said the four seniors have contributed so much to the program that they will be greatly missed.

“TheyOve defined it for that last four years. They done just such a fabulous job, and I canOt even think about replacing them,” Foster-Cunningham said.

Besides McCalla and Mantak, GW will say goodbye to two other seniors who performed well on Saturday night. Kelley Banks scored a 9.700 on both bars and beam and a season-best 9.825 on the floor exercise. Jamie McNally topped off her last meet at the Smith Center tied for third on the floor exercise with a career-best 9.850. McNally, who also scored a 9.750 on the vault, had mixed feelings about the night.

“We just wanted to do our best for our last home meet,” McNally said. “ItOs both a good and bad feeling because now we have to go out into the real world.”

Mantak echoed the sentiments of the other seniors on the team who said they would miss competing at the Smith Center. “Just finishing your routines and seeing your family and friends there. Its just great.”

GW will travel to Kent State on March 15 before heading to Kingston, R.I., where it will look to win a fifth straight Atlantic 10 title.