WEB EXCLUSIVE: Robinson takes run-off decisively

Posted 2 a.m. March 8 — Junior Phil Robinson was declared Student Association president after a run-off election Thursday, one week after he was named the loser of the regular election.

Robinson jumped in the air and hugged his campaign staff at the announcement that he took 59 percent of the vote in a run-off that saw 2,485 students vote, 329 more than the first election. Junior Josh Singer was motionless as he heard the news.

Singer received nine more votes than Robinson in last week’s regular election but failed to garner the necessary 40 percent majority by one vote, leading to the run-off.

“I’m speechless,” Robinson said. “Everyone believed in me, and I didn’t let them down.

Singer supporters were visibly distraught when they heard the news, and many broke out in tears.

Sophomore Brian Doory, one of Singer’s campaign managers, commented on behalf of Singer noting that Singer was “saddened” by the outcome.

“He felt he won the first time, but this is how things go,” Doory said. “We have eight senators and an EVP who are looking forward to making this school a better place.”

Eight newly elected senators and Executive Vice President-elect Eric Daleo, who ran unopposed, ran under Singer’s “Working for Us” slate.

Daleo, a sophomore, declined to comment Thursday night. Rather, he released a written statement saying he regrets Singer’s loss but looks forward to working with Robinson next year.

“I look forward to having an active part in transition and in agenda setting for the coming year,” Daleo wrote.

The third presidential candidate, sophomore Dani Greenspan, sided with Robinson for the run-off election and celebrated with him after he heard the news. Greenspan took 17 percent of the vote in the regular election.

“I think Phil has a great relationship with students,” Greenspan said. “My supporters and the GW community came out for Robinson.”

Sophomore Adam Greenman, who ran under the “Working for Us” slate, said the Senate will work with Robinson in a “very positive manner.”

“We’re looking forward to working with Phil,” Greenman said. “We’re going to keep the gridlock out of the Senate.”

Robinson is not in the clear yet, as the Joint Elections Committee prepares to hear three complaints against him Friday for campaign poster violations.

Singer was announced the winner of last week’s regular election with 40.009 percent of the regular vote. But an absentee ballot was taken away from Singer’s total Monday because it was counted twice, causing him to fall under the 40 percent needed to win with no run-off.

Singer filed a protest Tuesday along with graduate student Francisco Semiao calling for the JEC to count Semiao’s vote. Semiao was away from school last week and e-mailed his vote to the JEC e-mail.

The Student Court upheld the JEC decision to not count the ballot because the only students eligible to vote through e-mail were students studying abroad or on official leave.