WEB EXCLUSIVE: Singer wins close SA election

Posted March 1 12:30 p.m. Junior Josh Singer’s “Working for Us” slate worked for him.

Singer won the Student Association presidential election by a margin of eight votes over junior Phil Robinson, 867 to 859 Friday.

More than 2,100 students cast their ballots in the first online elections as Singer took 40.007 percent of the vote, just more than the 40 percent necessary to win the election without a runoff. Had Robinson received one more vote, a run-off would have been scheduled for next week.

The Joint Elections Committee will conduct a recount on Sunday to tabulate the ballots again.

Sophomore Presidential candidate Dani Greenspan finished in third place, with 17 percent of the vote.

Singer said he was excited by his victory.

“It’s really amazing,” Singer said. “Everyone was working, and we got a lot of freshmen to help.”

The 13-member ‘Working for Us” slate, led by Singer saw 12 of its candidates win Friday.

“It feels great,” re-elected SA Sen. Dan Moss (U-SBPM) said. “It’s good that we’re friends, and we’ll work on the same goals.”

Three elected senators, sophomores Mohammed Ali, Aaron Binstock and Moss, each won their senate races. Last year, they were roommates in Thurston Hall.

“We had a great turnout. It really showed students care about the issues,” Greenspan said. “Unfortunately Singer doesn’t have much of a mandate.”

Robinson’s campaign was silent when JEC Chair Scott Sheffler announced the news.

“I feel kind of lousy,” Robinson said. “I feel bad for the people who spent a lot of hours on my campaign.”

The results were supposed to be announced at midnight Friday morning at an election party in the Hippodrome, but more paper ballots than anticipated caused counting delays.

The 854 paper ballots made up more than a third of the total.

Running unopposed, sophomore Eric Daleo won his executive vice president race.

Junior Bryan Gless won the Program Board Executive Chair position.

“I have to make a couple of calls and tell my family,” Gless said after he learned of his victory.

Four Marvin Center Governing Board students were elected: juniors Zack Beyer, Alice Lingo, Raj Parekh and sophomore Blythe Purdin.

Violation hearings will be heard today for the candidates who won their positions.