Breakfest is back in a big way at Old Ebbitt Grill

Old Ebbitt Grill
675 15th St., N.W. (between F and G streets)
(202) 347-4801

Just once on a Sunday morning, roll out of bed and throw on something other than your sweatpants. The Old Ebbitt Grill offers a titillating array of breakfast preparations and lunch specialties. Sunday brunch is a popular weekly occurrence at this White House neighbor, making reservations a good idea.

The prime location makes the richly decorated American restaurant popular among tourists. Even though the elegant facade looks small, the revolving doors lead to a huge dining room divided into four areas, each with a different aura. Whether you are seated in the main room or out in the atrium, each area has a unique decor, creating a cozy atmosphere even among District big-wigs.

To go along with the impressive appearance is the palate-pleasing menu – the large brunch menu makes it a tough decision for any diner. Omelettes, eggs benedict, bagels with lox and tasty sandwiches make it hard to decide on breakfast or lunch.

For those with a sweet tooth, the upside-down French toast is a must. This thick and delicious bread is topped with bananas and walnuts and is bathed in warm maple syrup. Cinnamon and powdered sugar is sprinkled decoratively around the plate.

If breakfast isn’t your cup of tea, the lunch selections are enough to make your mouth water. Turkey clubs piled high and tuna salad sandwiches look picture perfect next to the heaping mounds of fries. Creative salads and out-of-the ordinary soups are also among the lunch choices.

Sunday brunch is not the only time to visit Old Ebbitt. The regular menu has great offerings like roast beef au jus and fresh seafood dishes. The juicy hamburgers are always a favorite and their raw bar is among the most noted around town.

With warm weather waiting in the wings, the Old Ebbitt Grill is a great place for a Sunday stroll.
Price range: $10.00-$28.00.