Around Campus

Larry king hosts Web cast from GW cardiac care lab
Political commentator Larry King will host a live internet broadcast of a cardiac catheterization from the GW Hospital’s Cardiac Center Feb. 28 from 2-3 p.m. Physicians will also discuss new procedures and devices to open blocked arteries, including radiation treatment.
A cardiac catheterization is an invasive procedure that allows physicians to examine the blood vessels of the heart to diagnose and prevent cardiac illness.
GW Hospital was the first in D.C. to use the Integris Allura Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, which treats patients with minimally invasive procedures and surgery. The laboratory was developed by Phillips Medical Systems.
The Web cast is sponsored by Philips Medical Systems and the Larry King Cardiac Foundation, whose primary mission is to provide life-saving heart operations for patients who cannot afford the medical expenses.

Hippodrome to host GW dance marathon
The second annual GW Dance Marathon will raise money for the D.C. Children’s Hospital during the 12-hour event Friday night in the Hippodrome. About 200 dancers and a 30-member “morale team” are registered to dance from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. to raise this year’s goal of $15,000.
All GW students are encouraged to attend to support the dancers and enjoy free food, live entertainment and prizes. The night will also include theme hours, karaoke, live entertainment, bowling, billiards and contests.
-Amanda Mantone

ISS searches for webmail glitch
Technology staff members are scratching their heads over computer glitches in GW Webmail. Technicians worked into the night Monday looking for “very odd problems” that caused sporadic outages of GW Webmail, said Jeff Baxter, communication coordinator for Information Systems and Services.
He said ISS rebuilt the Webmail server, which takes “a couple of hours,” so students could continue to use their e-mail accounts after several students reported being unable to log into the system Monday.
“Usually when we have a system outage no one can use it at all,” Baxter said, but some users were able to get on the server.
He said ISS still has not located the original problem, which could be because of a software error. The glitches were unusual, Baxter said, because they seemed to occur more while using Microsoft Internet Explorer than Netscape, and some users were able to clear the error by refreshing their Web page or hitting “back” on their browser.
“Modern software has gotten so complex, that you always think you’ve ironed out all the bugs, and then the provider comes out with a new version,” Baxter said.
-Kate Stepan

‘Monsoon Wedding’ screened in Lisner Auditorium
The American India Foundation will present the D.C. premiere of Monsoon Wedding, a film directed by Mira Nair, in Lisner Auditorium March 4 at 6:30 p.m. Nair has directed independent films such as Mississippi Masala, Salaam Bombay and Kamasutra.
The screening will be followed by a discussion with Nair.
Tickets cost $15 and are available through TicketMaster and the Lisner box office. Proceeds from sales will benefit the American India Foundation.
The American India Foundation is a nonpartisan organization that provides financial, technological and managerial resources to India and seeks to strengthen the bonds between the United States and India. AIF also provides assistance to American citizens in times of need, such as a relief account recently set up for families of the victims of Sept. 11.

Major and career workshops
The GW Career Center, Services for Students in Transition, and the Major Advising Cabinets will offer several career and major workshops this week, including:
 Job interview workshop Thursday in the Career Center Workshop Room from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Sponsored by the Career Center.
 Personality assessments with the Counseling Center, Friday in Strong Hall from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Services for Students in Transition will help students discover a career that matches their personality. Food and refreshments will also be provided
 Major selection and devising a four-year plan with the Major Advising Cabinet Friday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in Marvin Center 413.
-Amanda Mantone