Letter: Theology on Tap’s actual message

I would like to clarify the scope and purpose of my talk at “Theology on Tap” covered in the Feb. 21 issue of The Hatchet (“Students talk religion at Lulu’s,” p. 1). Theology on Tap is a program intended for young adults over the age of 21. The program does not promote the consumption of alcohol but attempts to provide a relaxed atmosphere to informally discuss important issues of faith that pertain to young adults.

The details of the lecture could be open to great misunderstanding. The talk, correctly entitled, “Is the Church only for good people?” showed that the mission of the Catholic Church was to embrace the sinner in love and to proclaim a God that is all merciful and loving. This focus of mercy by the Church comes directly from God, and by investigating the Holy Scriptures one can clearly see that God is not only for good people.

I used a number of outstanding Biblical figures from the Hebrew Scriptures and the New Testament who had committed serious sin at one time in their life, such as Moses. The common element in all these historic figures was that God did not give up on any of them after they had sinned. In fact, God called them to greatness and to sin no more in order that they would be more closely united to God.

I then gave examples of everyday people, including young adults, who had sinned and felt the mercy of God through their involvement in the Catholic Church. The talk emphasized, above all, that those who have run from God due to sin have a God that still loves them and greatly desires to forgive them.
-The writer is GW’s Catholic chaplain.