Baseball drops two in Tulane series

After ending Tulane’s five-game winning streak with a 9-7 win to start the series, GW dropped two final games at Turchin Field. Jake Wald hit his first homerun of the season in the rubber match, a 7-4 loss, and put GW in positionto tie late in the game. Tough Tulane pitching ended the Colonials hopes of winning their first series.

GW (2-5) travels to Northridge, Calif., for a weekend series that begins Friday afternoon with a contest against University of Nevada-Las Vegas.

Tulane 7, GW 4
Feb. 24
Turchin Stadium

Jake Wald nearly erased GW’s four-run deficit with a three-run homerun late in the game, but the GW scoring ended there. Tulane’s Kelly Comarda shut down the Colonials in a 7-4 loss.

Comarda walked Wald with two outs to go, bringing the tying run to the plate in the ninth. His replacement, lefthander Anthony Giarratano, struck out Crowder to end the game.

Tulane pitching was the story of this game. After Tulane starter Ray Liotta (1-0) allowed a leadoff triple to Travis Crowder, he struck out four batters in six and a third innings of work, leaving the game with the 5-1 lead.

Losing pitcher Avi Rasowsky (0-1) allowed four hits, two walks and two earned runs in his three innings. Greg Conden pitched the other half of the game, allowing two runs on four hits.

Tulane 2, GW 1
Feb. 23
Turchin Stadium

After a solid win in the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader, GW lost 2-1 to host Tulane in the bottom of the 10th inning. Tulane senior James Jurries hit the game winning RBI-single off Jason Baker in the 10th with two runners on base and no outs.

Baker and David Rodriguez kept Tulane off the scoreboard for the majority of the game by striking out five, but the Tulane Nick Bourgeois and Joey Charron struck out eleven batters, and only allowed seven hits and one run.

GW 9, Tulane 7
Feb. 22
Turchin Stadium

The Colonials ended Tulane’s five-game winning streak with a 9-7 series-opening win. With one out in the ninth, and the game tied at seven, GW’s Jeff Fertitta hit a hard shot that Tulane shortstop Anthony Giarratano could not handle, allowing GW to score two runs in the inning.

GW took an early lead after Tony Dokoupil’s home run during the second at-bat of the game, but Tulane’s Turner Brumby laced a two-RBI single up the middle cutting GW’s lead to 3-2.