Around Campus: Briefs

Hippodrome hosts “Meet the Candidates”

Students who want to know more about Student Association, Program Board and Marvin Center Governing Board candidates will get the chance Monday night at a “Meet the Candidates” event.

The event begins at 8 p.m. in the Hippodrome and sponsored by the Joint Elections Committee.

Candidates will also hold a series of debates on WRGW radio from 5:45 to 7:15 p.m Monday and Tuesday. Questions for the candidates can be sent to [email protected].

Program Board plans internship fair

The Program Board is planning an internship fair for students interested in politics and public policy.

The event will be held Wednesday from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Marvin Center Ballroom.

It will give students an opportunity to talk to representatives from Capitol Hill offices, think tanks, political consultants, interest groups and media outlets.

INS commissioner to lecture at Law School

Immigration Naturalization Service Commissioner James Ziglar will discuss his organization’s role in the war on terrorism Tuesday in a lecture at the GW Law School.

Zeglar will address new immigration laws and the responsibility of the INS to regulate visas in a post-Sept. 11 society.

The event will begin at 4:30 p.m. in Lerner Hall room L201. The lecture is free and open to the public.

Medical Center hosts preparedness conference

The GW Medical Center will host a daylong public safety conference Thursday that will feature experts from medical and public safety fields.

The event, called “After 9/11: Today’s Lessons for Tomorrow’s Preparedness,” will include officials from government organizations like the Centers for Disease Control and the Department of Labor.

Also attending will be representatives from the GW Hospital who helped manage the Sept. 11 crisis last fall and doctors who worked on educating the area on the threat of biological terrorism.

The conference is free to the public and begins 8 a.m. in the Media and Public Affairs auditorium with registration and breakfast. The last discussion is scheduled for 3 p.m.

Registration for the event is recommended by calling the Medical Center at 994-8110.

-Trevor Martin

Dyson addresses BSU, students

Seventy students gathered at the Mount Vernon Campus Thursday to listen to Michael Eric Dyson speak on black culture in America.

Dyson was the keynote speaker for the Black Student Union’s month of black history celebrations.

A Professor at DePaul University in Chicago and a Baptist minister, Dyson alternated among speaking, rapping and singing as he talked about race relations and his views on blacks in American culture.

Dyson has written several books and held a book signing after the speech. His latest book is Holler If You Hear Me: Searching for Tupac Shakur.

Dyson said he is worried about what he sees as a narrowing exposure of African-American culture.

“It’s not either or; it’s not either Snoop Dogg or (W.E.B.) Dubois,” Dyson said. “Sometimes we’ve embraced the worst of our culture and dismissed the best.”

Student reaction to Dyson was positive.

BSU President Phil Robinson said, “I was glad everyone came together to enjoy the message. I think it just really brought the community together.”

The next Black History Celebration is the Unity Ball 2002 on March 9.

-Erin Gamble

Hillel sponsors Purim celebration

There will be a traditional afternoon service for students observing Purim Monday at 5:30 p.m. in the New Hall community room.

The service will be followed by a Egalitarian Megillah reading, free dinner and improv comedy show.

The event will end at 9 p.m.

‘Love your body’ fair offers free massages

The Center for Alcohol and Drug Education, among other groups, are hosting a “love your body” fair Wednesday.

The fair will offer free sit-down massages, a yoga session and advice from nutritionists and an aroma-therapist.

The event is being held 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Hippodrome.

-Trevor Martin