WEB EXCLUSIVE: Worker stabbed at Marvin Center

Posted 2:35 p.m. Feb. 21 — A construction worker was admitted to GW Hospital early Thursday morning after a co-worker reportedly stabbed him repeatedly in the chest in front of the Marvin Center, according to GW and police officials.

The suspect has been identified but not apprehended, a Metropolitan Police Department spokesman said. According to police, the victim’s condition, which was initially listed as critical, is now stable.

University officials were unable to immediately clarify whether the men were working for a GW contractor.

University Police Associate Director Anthony Roccogrande said the two men were arguing over a “personal item,” possibly a coat, when the stabbing occurred at about 5:30 a.m. on a sidewalk near the H Street entrance of the student center.

Metropolitan Police closed half a block around the Marvin Center – H Street between 21st and 22nd streets and 21st Street between H and I streets – to traffic until about 11 a.m. Students entered the Marvin Center through the parking garage as police gathered evidence and cleaned the site. J Street remained closed until 11 a.m.

“It was roped off, with tons of police officers and TV cameras,” said sophomore Ben Faust, who said he was outside the Marvin Center at 7:30 a.m. “It was scary.”

Media Director Gretchen described the altercation as “an isolated incident” involving two men who are not “members of the GW community,” which would not include construction workers.

“We have certainly been given no information from the police that there is any kind of danger to the GW community,” King said.

GW Hospital officials declined to comment on the victim’s condition until he signs release papers.

-Tricia Parker and Josh Riezman contributed to this report.