WEB EXCLUSIVE: Tenth straight hurts most

Posted 3:30 p.m. Feb. 22 — The frustration of a team that suffered its 10th-straight loss was apparent Thursday night in GW’s 89-59 loss to visiting Dayton, the Colonials worst loss this season.

Struggling three-point specialist Greg Collucci was handed a technical with 13 minutes remaining in the game for complaining he was fouled on a three-point attempt. Darnell Miller, who was held scoreless, and Dayton’s D.J. Stelly were assessed matching technical fouls for a pushing match between them.

The Colonials (10-15 overall, 3-11 A-10) combined to shoot just under 28 percent from the field in the game (17-for-61) while Dayton (17-7 overall, 9-4 A-10) out-rebounded the Colonials 46-35 in the game, and shot 52 percent from the field (29-for-56).

“I think they just came out and beat us at every phase of the game,” Colonials head coach Karl Hobbs said. “Rebounding, transition, they made shots. We just could not find a way to stop them.”

Dayton had five players score in double figures. Nate Green and Brooks Hall each scored 18. Green added a game-high 11 rebounds.

Chris Monroe scored 21 points to lead the Colonials. Monroe hit 12-of-16 free throws and 4-of-14 field goals in the game. Jaason Smith grabbed a team-high nine rebounds for GW.

GW cut a seven-point Dayton lead to one when Collucci hit a three-pointer with just under 13 minutes remaining in the first half. The Colonials were unable to sustain momentum though, making only one field goal over the next four minutes and were outscored 28-11 for the rest of half. Dayton capped off the long run with a long three-pointer at the buzzer by Ramod Marshall to take a 40-22 lead into the locker room.

Dayton came out of the locker room and continued to dominate the game on both ends of the floor. The Flyers went on a 19-7 run in the first six minutes of the second half to take a 59-29 lead. Dayton opened up a 36-point lead with just under eight minutes remaining, 76-40 when Yuanta Holland made one of two free throws. GW was unable to get within 28 points the rest of the way.

GW looks to end their losing streak in their final home game of the season on Saturday against the Richmond Spiders (15-11 overall, 9-4 A-10) at noon.

NOTES: Unprompted, Karl Hobbs thanked students for sticking with him during the losing streak. “I am just so appreciative of those students that were behind that bench because they stayed throughout the entire game for no apparent reason. But, they stuck right in there and that’s what I like about those guys and they kind of represent what our team is and kind of have to follow their lead to some degree. We have to stick right in there, just like they stuck right in there with us today.”