Biden nominates alums to cabinet positions
By Sachini Adikari, Contributing News Editor • May 2, 2024

Staff editorial: Tracking students

Because of the nation’s heightened sense of vigilance, the Department of Immigration and Naturalization Service has moved to increase monitoring of foreign citizens with visas. The incident involving former GW student Sultan R. Al-Zaabi highlights flaws in the tracking system that leave the government officials unsure where visiting students are.

Having the ability to track all international students coming to the United States on student visas is a crucial step in preventing more acts of terrorism. The INS is currently lacking both a nationwide tracking system and the necessary funds to pay for it.

But there is a new law which will take effect in 2003. The law requires GW and other universities to update the INS of a student’s standing periodically using a new electronic notification system.

In past years, GW and other schools only contacted the INS when an accepted international student registered for classes, allowing international students to transfer from school to school without any report.

Civil libertarians who criticize the move to track foreign students largely ignore the country’s need to track suspicious students. Closing loopholes that terrorists have utilized as a vehicle for planning attacks is one way to prevent disaster.

The new reality after Sept. 11 is that the United States now has to charge immigrants seeking an education in this country a small fee on their personal liberties.

Although no reasonable person relishes in using surveillance-heavy technology without a need to do so, safety concerns outweigh any criticism of new steps to keep track of international students.

If U.S. colleges need to notify the INS more often about the whereabouts of international students in the name of preventing further attacks, so be it. The alternative to keeping a watchful eye opens up unthinkable vulnerabilities.