Letter: Split is absurd

To imply that traditionally white fraternities and sororities are not community service based, lifetime commitments or diverse in The Hatchet’s Feb. 14 (“Greek policies split groups”) article is not simply an attack on the groups themselves, but on the entire Greek system.

People who join Greek-letter organizations choose to live by similar ideals and values. Not only does each fraternity and sorority have a philanthropy, members often participate in community service outside of the chapter. Members of Delta Gamma volunteer with D.C. Reads and HIV/AIDS non-profits. Members of Delta Tau Delta coach a Little League team. Members of Greek-letter organizations are active all over campus and in the community.

With the stereotypes that already exist about Greek-letter organizations, further divides within the system are completely unwarranted. As a first step, we would like to invite all members of National Pan-Hellenic Council to participate in Delta Gamma’s Anchorbowl, as we have invited Alpha Phi Alpha for the past three years. Proceeds are donated to Service for Sight, an organization dedicated to helping the blind.

While recognizing that each chapter is unique, we must join together to promote the greater Greek community.
-Carla Graves
president, Delta Gamma sorority