Brief: Dining Services to expand options

Dining officials said student suggestions spurred recent changes in campus food venues. J Street has added new food options, hours and service as a result of recommendations made by the Student Association’s Dining Services Commission.

Starbucks has extended hours from 11 p.m. to midnight, and new kosher, vegan and vegetarian products are now available in Provisions.

“I think J Street services changed light and day compared to last year,” SA President Roger Kapoor said. “We’ve been able to increase the weekend options, the customer service and hours of operation.”

Other changes include increasing Starbucks hours until 2 a.m. during finals, more vegetarian options, shorter weekend Burger King hours in exchange for longer Cranberry Farms hours, more prepared food at the pasta station, more visiting chefs and a microwave in the Hippodrome for student use.

DSC Chair Eric Daleo said a lack of vegetarian and health food and the need for extended J Street hours were common student complaints last year that needed to be addressed.

Dining Services Director Jim Gillespie said he has worked with commissions in the past few years, but he said this year’s DSC has had the best suggestions.

“Eighty percent of the suggestions are from the DSC,” Gillespie said. The rest came from the Dining Services Web site, e-mail and written suggestions, he said.

Many students said they have already noticed improvements at J Street.

“I’m glad Starbucks is open later, because students stay up a lot later to study than 11 p.m., so midnight is a big improvement,” sophomore Melissa Segal said.

Gillespie said he expects new venues like Funger Express to be examined for future development.