Gymnastics places last at UNC

North Carolina dominated the scoreboard Saturday night with wins on the vault, balance beam and floor exercise, beating out visiting schools Bowling Green and last-place finisher GW.

UNC senior Monica Middleton won the all-around competition with a 39.050, while teammate Anna Wilson finished second with a 38.700. UNC took four of the top five places in the vault, the top four in the balance beam and the top three in the floor exercise.

UNC won the meet with a 193.825, followed by Bowling Green (192.675) and GW (191.900).

For GW, senior Devin McCalla, who last week won her third-consecutive Atlantic 10 Performer of the Week honors, placed third in the all-around with a score of 38.675. McCalla’s best score came on the uneven bars with a 9.800, good for third place in the event. McCalla finished just ahead of UNC’s Marny Oestreng, who entered the meet ranked 15th in the nation in the all-around competition.

McCalla is currently ranked 21st in the nation and leads the A-10 on the balance beam (9.900), the vault (9.800) and in the all-around (39.450). She also ranks fourth on the uneven bars (9.850) and floor exercise (9.900), but faced considerable competition in Chapel Hill.

Jessica Mantak placed sixth in the all-around with a 37.400. Mantak’s highest score came on the floor exercise where her 9.800 tied for fifth. Sophomore Lindsey Parks continues to step up this season. Parks scored a 9.675 in vault and a 9.800 on the floor exercise.

For the second-consecutive meet, GW failed to win any event. The team’s 191.900 is the second-lowest score of the season. GW scored 191.600 to win the GW Invitational. At the Invitational GW defeated the Tar Heels by overcoming them in the final rotation. This weekend was different, as GW saw a much improved Tar Heels team.

GW sophomore Rachel Mann said the team would have had a better shot at winning if each teammate performed a little better in her routines.

“There are just minor things we need to fix,” said Mann, who added the team finished strong but had trouble overcoming a slow start. “Things that you lose a 10th of a point on and those add up to a lot.”

Mann said the team needs to improve its mindset before the team’s next meet when it hosts Maryland Saturday. GW has not hosted a match since Jan. 19, and it will be the second time the two teams meet this season.

GW lost to Maryland by the score of 194.550-193.850 in College Park, Md. Jan. 25.

“Right now we all feel like we are in a slump,” Mann said. “We need to forget about what happened and we need to work from our mistakes and improve.”