Cho brings comedy, motivational routine to GW

Stand-up comedienne Margaret Cho returned to campus for her fifth GW performance as part of her “Notorious C.H.O.” tour Saturday night, entertaining students with tales of alcohol abuse, eating disorders, sex and drag queens in the Smith Center.

“It kind of freaked me out a little bit,” freshman Jeremy Stadelman said. “It was more gross than funny.”

Up for a Grammy for her most recent comedy album titled, “I’m the One that I Want,” Cho said she now wants to devote her time completely to standup comedy.

The Smith Center was packed with bead-wearing students, who were given Mardi Gras beads upon entry. The event sold more than 3,000 tickets, and noticeably absent were adults.

A San Francisco native who was in New York on Sept. 11, Cho spoke about her personal experience, joking about snorting white anthrax powder if discovered in a letter and performing sexual favors for New York City’s rescue workers.

Cho mixed comedy with political commentary, joking that she has learned most about sex from her gay male friends and drag queens, but also mentioning gay friends who had recently died from AIDS.

She speculated about male menstruation, which drew roars from the audience. Cho’s ability to impersonate different voices also drew many laughs.

Cho discussed her colon hydrotherapy in detail, which prompted confusion and even discomfort from students.

A single woman, Cho likened husbands to tattoos and said she wished they could be removable “like henna.”

She also openly discussed her personal struggles, specifically the eating disorders anorexia and bulimia. She blamed her father for her eating disorders, which brought a marked silence from the audience.

Cho frequently mentioned her mother, impersonating her mom’s voice while joking about her views and personality.

Cho has spent 17 years touring, acting and hosting a short-lived television show called “All American Girl.” She also had guest appearance on “Sex and the City” last season and led a discussion on the Miss America Pageant with notable figures such as Gloria Steinem and Isaac Mizrahi.

Her latest worldwide tour started this fall, which has taken her to New York and the United Kingdom, before she heads to Australia next week.

Toward the end of the concert, Cho turned the house lights on and took questions from the audience. Most questions focused on serious topics such as what she thought about Connie Chung, who has said she does not want to be known as an Asian-American journalist.

Cho pointed out she thought Chung simply wanted to be recognized for her work and not her race. She said that when she was younger, she had few Asian role models to look up to and saw Chung is a positive example.

Another male audience member who complemented Cho’s appearance and called her “baby” and “sweetie,” drew the disapproval from a self-proclaimed feminist in the audience, who said she was offended by his comments.

Some students said they were disappointed by Cho’s performance.

“The comedy portion of the show was hilarious, but the change in tone that marked the self-help section was disgusting,” freshman Carl Beauregard said. “We left.”

Cho’s theme centered on loving what she termed “your authentic self” and finding joy in life, offering her own lack of self esteem as an example of the importance of self-love.

“I urge you all today, especially today during these times of chaos and war, to love yourself without reservations and to love each other without restraint,” she said.

Without missing a beat, Cho added, “Unless you’re into leather.”