Around Campus

Trachtenberg, ESIA to lecture on terrorism
The Elliott School of International Affairs and the Woodrow Wilson Center’s International Studies Division will host a discussion of “State-Sponsored Terrorism: Fashioning New Responses,” on Feb. 25 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Allan Gerson, co-director for peacebuilding and development at GW, will lecture in the Ronald Reagan building’s 5th floor conference room at 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, at the Federal Triangle Metro stop. GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg will comment after the lecture.

Law School, ESIA debate the rights of terrorists
GW Law School and the Elliott School of International Affairs will host a panel discussion on the legal rights of alien detainees and terrorists Feb. 22 from 5 p.m. to 6:30 in the Moot Court Room.
The free event includes Shapiro professor of international affairs Leon Fuerth, associate professor of law Sean Murphy and professor Amitai Etzioni. Fuerth was National Security Adviser for Vice President Al Gore. Murphy served as legal counselor at the U.S. Embassy in The Hague.
The panel will discuss the meaning of the word “prisoner of war” as used by the Geneva Convention in light of recent headlines regarding the Camp X-Ray detainees at Guantanamo Bay.

GW faculty, MBA students discuss Enron collapse
A panel of GW faculty and MBA students will discuss the collapse of Enron and the corporate ethical climate on Wall Street and in accounting firms Wednesday in Marvin Center room 413 from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.
Panelists include accounting professor Lawrence Singleton, marketing professor Pradeep Rau, and law professor Lawrence Mitchell, who is also an expert and author in the field of regulation, ethics, finance and bondholders and stakeholders rights.

GW professor hosts History Channel show
James O. Horton, GW Benjamin Banneker professor of American studies and history, will host a show to present the new History Channel documentary called “A Fragile Freedom: African American Historic Sights,” on the air Wednesday at 10 p.m.
The film will explore eight unusual African American sights and their history. The one-hour program is sponsored by Northern Light Productions in Boston.
Horton writes and lectures on African American and 19th century social history.

New College of Professional Studies appoints deans
Roger Whitaker, dean of GW’s newly-formed College of Professional Studies, appointed two new associate deans, Ali Eskandarian and Ginger Smith. The Board of Trustees authorized CPS as a new degree-granting graduate college in 2001.
Eskandarian has worked at the National Research Council and in the Computer Science Department at James Madison University and received his B.S. and Ph.D. degrees from GW.
Smith has served as senior international policy analyst and acting director of public affairs for the U.S. Travel and Tourism Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce.

Mount Vernon challenges Foggy Bottom in “sexual jeopardy”
The Mount Vernon Pub and Grill will host a game of “Sexual Jeopardy” Wednesday night from 9 to 11 p.m. at the “Sex and Banana Splits in the City” event. All students are invited to come and cheer on representatives from Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon as each campus battles for the title of most sexually knowledgeable.

Chinese students celebrate New Year
The Chinese American Student Association will celebrate the Chinese New Year of the Horse 4699 with a free party in the Hippodrome on Wednesday from 8 to 11 p.m.
The event will include food, dancing and martial arts.

Liquid arts to host practice
Liquid Arts, a new urban and hip -hop dance group, will be practicing Feb. 14 in MC 403 from 8p.m.-12a.m.
All those interested in joining will also be able to attend practices Feb. 19 and 21 at 8 p.m. in MC rooms 403 and 404.
-Amanda Mantone