Former GW official dies at 73

Former GW official Ann E. Webster died of cancer Tuesday at the Washington Home Hospice. Webster worked in several administrative positions during her 30 years at the University.

Webster first joined GW in 1961 and worked as director of housing and residence life until 1991 before assuming her final job as assistant vice president of student and academic support services.

She also earned a master’s degree in government after completing her undergraduate work at Smith College.

Dean of Students Linda Donnels shared her memories of Webster, who coordinated the Residence Hall Association.

“She was a very engaging person and was very devoted to GW,” Donnels said. “She worked to create a terrific quality of student life.”

Donnels said during Webster’s term as director of housing and residence life involved developing GW’s housing portfolio, staffing the residence halls and overseeing upkeep of the buildings.

“She was a great colleague, and she basically built the residence halls,” said Mary Phelps, former dean of students.

Phelps said that when Webster was working at GW several positions that are now delegated to different people all fell under her job description.

. “The growth she was responsible for was phenomenal,” she said. “She helped start the RHA, and she did what she could to make sure residence hall life was meaningful for students.”

Phelps said students are still benefiting from Webster’s contributions to the University.

“She made sure the halls were maintained and made sure they stayed well maintained,” she said.

Webster was also a mentor to young graduate students working in the residence halls, Donnels said.

“Many young people that took her as a role model now work in the University administration,” she said.

Before coming to GW, Webster served in the Navy from 1952 to 1966.

“She was a good sailor,” Donnels said.

Assistant Director of University Relations Jane Lingo said Webster had an affinity for water.

“She loved the Chesapeake Bay and was a big advocate for the Chesapeake Foundation,” she said.

Donnels and Lingo said GW would miss her.

“She was a very big supporter of women’s basketball. Everybody will miss her in the stands,” Donnels said.