Burying the Hatchet

I recently have been experiencing really bad mood swings. I feel tired a lot of the time, and I am starting to dislike everything I used to like to do, like classes and activities I enjoyed and even hanging out with friends. The littlest things seem to bring me down. I’ve talked to a couple of friends about it, but I don’t feel any better. What else can I do?
-Low on Life

There isn’t anyone reading this who hasn’t felt the way you are feeling. Hearing that isn’t going to make it any better, but at least you can realize that you aren’t alone even if it feels like you are. It’s perfectly normal to go through stages of depression, but the thing you have to be aware of is how long the depression lasts. If you’ve been feeling like this for awhile and it’s not getting any better then it becomes bigger than a “stage.”
It’s great that you have opened up to your friends, and it is very normal to feel as if they don’t really get where you coming from. Sometimes friends can’t understand because they are too close to you. That’s why you should consider seeing a psychologist if the depression isn’t subsiding. Talking to somebody who doesn’t know you can sometimes can be a lot more helpful than talking to people who have known you for awhile. GW offers free counseling at the University Counseling Center. There is also the prospect of taking antidepressants, but you would have to speak to a qualified doctor to get a prescription. Having your life become a roller coaster ride is not fun, especially when most of it is downhill. You just need to realize that there is help, and there is hope. Things can only get better.

*******

My girlfriend and I have been going out for a few months, and I am generally very happy in the relationship. I care about her a lot and have fun with her but have a hard time committing to women and get scared away when they like me too much. She tells me all the time how much she cares about me, which makes me worried I’ll lose interest soon. How can I get over my fear of close relationships?
-Can’t Commit

Wouldn’t it be great if there were drugs that could cure our fear of commitment? Sadly, they don’t exist, so if you are feeling like you don’t want to be in a serious relationship you probably shouldn’t be in one. Everyone enjoys the excitement of the chase and dreads how boring a committed relationship can become. The difference is when you find the person you want to be with, you’re not going to want other girls.
You basically need to stop worrying about what might happen – that you might lose interest, that you’ll want other girls – and start focusing on what you really want. It would be wonderful if you could have the best of both worlds and keep your girlfriend while you go flirt and play the field around the GW campus, but that’s not reality, and it’s not fair to her. Decide what you can handle and stop stressing about the unknowns. Be sure of what you choose, because you’ll only be hurting the girl you care about if you don’t.