Around Campus: Briefs

University plans to expand J street eating area

GW plans to begin renovations of the J Street eating area after Commencement in May to accommodate 116 more students.

Assistant Vice President for Student and Academic Support Services Mike Gargano said the dining area will be expanded out to the H Street terrace and a glass fa?ade will be constructed over the space currently used for outdoor dining.

Gargano said the University chose glass to create synthesis between the H Street entrance and the new Great Hall, which is currently under construction on 21st Street.

He said the new addition should be ready for use when students return to campus in August.

GW Law School may assist alleged terrorist

Lawyers for Australian detainee David Hicks said they are working with contacts at the GW Law School to find a law firm that is suitable to defend the terrorist suspect, according to Australian newspaper, The Mercury.

Hicks is currently being detained at the U.S. Military base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, after being captured with Taliban forces in November, the paper said.

Hick’s lawyer Stephen Kenny said attorneys are “coming out of the woodwork” for a case that is similar to that of John Walker Lindh.

BSU prepares for black history month

The Black Student Union is planning several events to celebrate this year’s Black History Month. Some of the events next week include:

– A Wednesday discussion titled “Kemba’s Nightmare: Mandatory Minimum Sentencing.” The speaker, Kemba Smith, will discuss what poor people can do to protect themselves in court. Post Hall at the Mount Vernon Campus, 8-9:30 p.m.

– A town hall meeting Thursday in the Marvin Center to discuss diversity on campus and the role of black organizations in the community. Marvin Center 403, 8-9:30 p.m.

– A night of bowling Friday for community service at the Hippodrome, 8-10 p.m.

– A Sunday Super Bowl party with free food and giveaways at the Downtown Lounge (2129 G St.), 7:30-10 p.m.

BSU President Philip Robinson said the events are open to everyone and free of charge.

He also noted other events to take place in late February including a meeting with this year’s Student Association candidates.

GW to host summer camp

The University will host the first annual “Curious Minds Rock” summer camp for students in the third through eighth grades this July.

About 400 students living in the area will attend classes at the Foggy Bottom campus while touring D.C. and participating in other activities, said Assistant Vice President for Student and Academic Support Services Mike Gargano.

The camp will run for two weeks and will require roughly 20 camp counselors. Gargano said the University is planning on putting out ads next week and hopes for GW students to fill the counselor positions.

Gargano said the program was something he and Vice President for Student and Academic Support Services Robert Chernak helped run at the University of Hartford before coming to GW.

“It’s both athletic and enrichment driven,” Gargano said.

There will two sessions beginning July 8 and 22.

GW institute reports no change in school violence

GW’s Hamilton Fish Institute on School and Community Violence reported that Sept. 11 has not reduced violence in schools after several shootings in New York and Florida at both high schools and colleges.

The institute is responsible for surveying social trends that involve community violence in schools and testing measures that can be taken to prevent continuing crime in both secondary and higher education.

Hamilton Fish first believed that Sept. 11 dramatically reduced the numbers after the violent crimes recorded in October 2001 were half of what had been recorded in 2000.

This notion did not hold true after the numbers returned to their pre-Sept. 11 levels in November and December last year.

Research at the institute shows that more than two-thirds of crimes that resulted in shootings or death occur between the months of January and June.

-Trevor Martin