RHA will hold lottery online

Computer screens and online housing selection will replace long lines at J Street and manual registration in March.

Students will be able to select housing on the GWeb Information System, which students use to register for classes, get grades and check financial accounts. While offices will be open on lottery days, students will not be able to sign up for housing without an internet connection.

The system will be based on a randomly computer-generated number given to them online by housing services, Director of Housing Services Andy Sonn said.

Rising juniors and seniors will be able to select housing on Sunday, Feb. 24, while rising sophomores will select Sunday, March 10. Sophomores will be able to select from single rooms, unlike last year.

Beginning at 8 a.m. on the two designated days, students with the first 25 lottery numbers will be allowed to select housing. At 8:15, students with the next consecutive lottery numbers will have access to the Banner Web housing selection page, Sonn said.

He said during the selection process all roommates will submit their lottery numbers for identification and registration purposes. Social security numbers will not be used because of confidentiality concerns, Sonn said. Students must enter their student or social security number, along with a password, to log onto Banner Web.

Student will then sign an electronic lease through GWeb, and their prospective roommates will download Adobe Acrobat compatible leases to submit to the New Hall housing offices within a specific time period.

This year’s online housing selection will model the electronic class registration format, Residence Hall President Noel Frame said.

The lottery numbers between one and 1,999 are designated to rising juniors and seniors, while rising sophomores will hold numbers 2,000 and higher.

Students will receive a lottery number after electronically submitting an Intent to Return form by Feb. 15. The form will be available on GWeb under the newly added Housing Selection and Information menu Feb. 1 at midnight. It will also contain options for food plans.

Community Living and Learning Center, RHA and Information Systems and Services personnel will be positioned in computer labs throughout campus on the two selection days to provide technical support and help with the new process, Frame said.

CLLC offices in New Hall and a technical help desk will be open on the selection days.

“We’ll make sure resources are available,” Sonn said.

CLLC will send e-mails and letters to returning students explaining the new process, Sonn said. Letters regarding new housing selection regulations will be sent out at the end of the week, Sonn said.

Virtual tours for students and open houses will be held in early February to help students “navigate” through the new system, Sonn said.

Housing Services, GWeb and RHA have been working on the selection system since April.

“This system eliminates all the paper work, eliminates paper leases and is easy and convenient,” said Frame.

Sonn suggested students do “homework” on housing selection and plan to be with prospective roommates during the process. He also suggested picking buildings and roommates in advance, having contingency plans and considering prices of rooms.