Around Campus

ANC to vote on HWC time restrictions

Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner Jeff Marootian, a GW graduate student, hopes to introduce legislation Wednesday that would eliminate the biggest obstacle to allowing GW to keep the fitness center open later and allow more people to use the facility.

The legislation, on Wednesday’s temporary agenda, would reverse the group’s position of opposing GW’s Health and Wellness Center. The Wellness Center currently closes at 10 p.m. daily and is restricted to GW students – part of D.C. restrictions that were prompted mostly by neighborhood resistance to the site. Original GW plans called for a 1 a.m. closing and membership open to neighbors and GW guests.

Marootian said resident concerns about heavy traffic and noise in the area have not panned out.

“Traffic hasn’t been an issue, and the noise hasn’t been an issue” he said. “A majority of the people in the neighborhood are fine with the Health and Wellness Center operating later and extending its membership within reason.”

The GW graduate student and chief justice of the Student Association court said Dorothy Miller has been the most vocal ANC opponent to late hours and open membership. The legislation, which would OK a midnight closing and more inclusive membership, would need a four-person majority to pass.

-Russ Rizzo

GW professor and scientist dies at 75

GW professor and retired NASA scientist Burton Edelson died of a heart attack Jan. 6 in New York City while on a trip visiting friends. He was 75.

Edelson founded the GW’s Institute for Applied Space Research in 1987.

Before teaching at GW, Edelson worked in the Reagan administration as an associate administrator for space science and in applications at NASA.

Edelson’s responsibilities included overseeing the Hubble and Mars expedition space missions.

After retiring from NASA, Edelson directed research and development projects in satellite communications at GW until his death.

Edelson was also recognized for helping develop some of the first commercial satellites while acting as deputy director of Comsat Laboratories.

During his career, Edelson received several awards, including the NASA Exceptional Service Medal in 1987. He also wrote over 75 articles for technical publications.

He was a native of New York and was living in Maryland at the time of his death.

-Trevor Martin

Newman Center to hold walk protest of abortion

The Newman Catholic Student Center will join thousands of anti-abortion supporters from throughout the United States in the annual “Pro-life March” in D.C. Tuesday. The event starts at 10 a.m. with a march down Constitution Avenue to the National Mall, followed by an evening dinner at the Newman Center.

“The Pro-life March basically says that everyone has a right to life, including the unborn,” said Father Rob Panke of the Newman Center. “It simply is a peaceful protest of Roe v. Wade.”

The Supreme Court issued its Roe v. Wade ruling 29 years ago Tuesday.

-Alex Borgelt

Former gubernatorial candidate to speak at GW

Scott Harshbarger, former attorney general and Democratic nominee for governor of Massachusetts, kicks off a law school lecture series to encourage citizen involvement in national affairs. Harshbarger, CEO of Common Cause, will speak this Thursday at 4:30 p.m. in the GW Law School Moot Court Room.

“Harshbarger tries to energize students to be involved in civic affairs,” said Jeffery Gutman, assistant dean of Academic Affairs for the Law School. “Now more than ever he encourages citizen involvement, in light of what has happened in our country.”

Music department opens jam sessions

The GW music department continues its 17-year-old tradition of weekly jazz jam sessions beginning Jan. 24 at noon in room B-120. The sessions are hosted by the GW Faculty Jazz Sextet and have featured professional jazz guest artists in the past.

The department will host jazz vocalist and professor Pam Bricker, at the bandstand this semester. Bricker, one of D.C.’s top jazz performers, has performed musical workshops at GW in the past and joins the jazz faculty for the first time. The GW Jazz Festival takes place the weekend of April 26-29, and will feature GW Jazz ensembles and some professional performers.

-Amanda Mantone