Around Campus

Lisner hosts Ani DiFranco for charity

Recording artists Ani DiFranco, Bruce Hornsby, Joe Henry, John Popper from Blues Traveler and others will take the stage Saturday night at Lisner Auditorium for charity. The concert, “An Evening of Music for Reproductive Freedom,” is sponsored by Voters for Choice and the local Revolutionary Association for the Women of Afghanistan.

The concert starts at 8 p.m. and will include “unique” collaborations among the various artists, said Jen Bergman, a spokeswoman for Voters for Choice, a national pro-choice organization.

Bergman said the concert commemorates the 29th anniversary of the Roe vs. Wade court ruling that gave women the right to have abortions.

“We hope to draw a lot of college students with the concert,” Bergman said.

The groups are renting Lisner from the University, and ticket revenue will benefit the groups.

Tickets are priced at $30 for GW students and are available at the Ticketmaster office in the Marvin Center.

-Trevor Martin

Students gather on and off campus for Winter Welcome Week

The Student Activities Center sponsored several on- and off-campus activities at venues like the Improv Comedy Club and ESPN Zone to welcome students back for the spring semester.

The events began at the ESPN Zone at 13th and E streets Tuesday night with food, arcade games and giveaways.

On Wednesday, students ventured to the Improv Comedy Club, located on Connecticut Avenue between 18th and L streets to socialize and watch comedy.

“Oh my God! (With free tickets) I have to go,” sophomore Nicole Kaplan said.

Officials said SAC is organizing the week with an emphasis on a larger variety of events this year.

“We had a huge turnout in the fall,” said Amy Riesner, SAC special events coordinator. “We are now having a huge number of events for what used to be a small (spring) program.”

Riesner said SAC had more money to spend with a larger student body this year.

Remaining events include:

-Ice skating on the Mall at 7th and Madison streets, Friday 1:15-4:30 p.m.

-First annual “Hippodrome Olympics” in the Hippodrome, Saturday 4-6 p.m.

-Casino Night at the Hard Rock Caf? at 10th and E streets, Sunday 8:30 p.m. to midnight.

-Special screening of Richard Gere’s The Mothman Prophecies at Lisner Auditorium, Tuesday 7-10:30 p.m. Tickets are available free from the SAC office in the Marvin Center 427.

-Julie Gordon

University Club offers jazz to community

The GW University Club at 1918 F St. has opened its doors to both members and non-members every Thursday for live jazz and dinner service.

Club Membership Director Jim Massey said the new move is an effort to make the club more visible to students and other members of the GW community.

The jazz performances feature the local group “Shapes” and will take place every Thursday this semester from 8:30-11:30 p.m.

“It’s the first time we have opened it to the public so anyone can dine there,” Massey said. “There will be a limited menu, but you can walk right in or make reservations.”

The University Club is also launching an open mic and karaoke night every Friday, also open to the public.

Entrance is free, and there is a cash bar. Jazz performances will take place in the Mt. Vernon room and open mic will be held in the Riverhorse room.

Experts gather to discuss U.S. immigration policy

GW University professor and communitarian network head Amitai Etzioni, Executive Director of the Center for Immigration Studies Mark Krikorian and other experts will discuss the future of U.S. immigration policy in light of new threats to homeland security.

The discussion will be held in Marvin Center 307 Jan. 18 at 3 p.m.

The panel will address several questions including immigration restrictions, illegal immigrants and whether there were serious flaws with immigration before Sept 11.

Krikorian has testified before Congress on several immigration issues and appeared on C-SPAN and Fox News to comment on U.S. policy. He will be joined by Kathleen Newland, co-director and co-founder of the Migration Policy Institute, and Jos? Pertierra, an attorney specializing in immigration and international human rights law.

-Trevor Martin