Around Campus

GW constructs new shuttle stop outside Fulbright Hall
GW is constructing a handicapped-accessible shuttle bus stop next to Fulbright Hall to transport community members throughout Foggy Bottom. The stop will be the first sheltered station the University has built on campus.

Scheduled for a late January opening, the 144-square foot metal bus enclosure will be equipped with a wheelchair ramp.

According to David Carson, the project manager of the Carson Construction Company, the project was halted during the semester break and will resume once classes begin.

Bill Press returns to GW for book signing
“Crossfire” host Bill Press will sign copies of his new book, Spin This! Jan. 23 at 8:30 p.m. in the Hippodrome.

Students can ask questions about the book and discuss current events with Press.

Spin This! analyzes the culture of spin and its impact on American Society, according to a press release. Press has hosted “Crossfire” and “The Spin Room.”

The first 20 students at the book signing will receive a free copy of Spin This! The event is sponsored by the School of Media and Public Affairs, Student Association, College Democrats and College Republicans.

GW names assistant academic VP

Donna Scarboro, former director of summer and international programs at GW, is the newly appointed assistant vice president for special academic programs. Scarboro was a member of the English department since 1983.

Scarboro will continue to oversee summer sessions at Foggy Bottom and the Mount Vernon campus, as well as special and international programs, including the Office of Study Abroad.

GW professor named ‘outstanding worker’ of DC

GW Professor Max Ticktin was selected as this year’s Outstanding Older Worker of D.C. as part of the fourth annual National Prime Time Awards. Ticktin, an assistant professor of Hebrew and associate director of the Judaic Studies program, also teaches contemporary Israeli literature and history of modern Hebrew literature.

Ticktin, 79, conducts study groups for older adults at a local Jewish Community Center when he is not teaching at GW.

“Teaching older adults complements the work I do on campus,” Ticktin said in a press release.

The National Prime Time Awards are sponsored by Green Thumb, Inc., a national coordinator of older-adult training and employment. The award was originally to have been given on Sept. 11, but was postponed until Dec. 10.

GW alumnus joins foreign service

GW alumnus Stephanie Bowers of Englewood, Ohio, was recently sworn in as a junior officer in the United States Foreign Service.

She received a bachelor of arts in international affairs with a concentration in French. Her first tour of duty will be in Antananarivo, Madagascar.

Bowers has also worked for the State Department.

Foreign service officers assist American tourists and businesses overseas, support U.S. foreign policy goals and work to increase awareness of American interests abroad.

GW Virginia campus names new head

GW named John S. Wilson executive dean of its Virginia campus at Loudoun-Dulles last month. Wilson previously worked as an assistant provost for research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

“His experience at MIT will serve him well in his new responsibilities, as we work to further enhance GW’s collaborative activities in Northern Virginia with industry, government and other institutions,” said Vice President for Academic Affairs Donald Lehman in a press release.

Wilson joined GW last September as senior vice president under Vice President and Treasurer Louis H. Katz. He worked with two committees to advance GW higher in academic rankings, according to a GW press release.

Wilson succeeds Irwin Price, who directed the Virginia campus for 10 years and will become chancellor of the Daytona Beach campus of Embry-Riddle University.