Somers Hall nears completion

Mount Vernon Campus officials expect the Somers Hall addition to be complete in time to house 41 students returning from a study abroad program next semester.

The students, who are studying mostly in Europe, agreed to go abroad this fall, in part because the residence hall addition was not finished and GW lacked other campus housing for them. Somers Hall residents will participate in a living and learning community centering on international issues next semester.

Expansion of the residence hall began in August 1999 and added 184 beds, a meeting room, kitchen, laundry room and an exercise room. It includes a link to existing Somers Hall with mechanical, electrical, technology and handicap accessibility upgrades.

While last year’s housing shortage was part of the reason behind creating the GW World program, “it was not mentioned as a primary goal of the program,” said Caroline Donovan, executive coordinator of summer, special and international Programs. It is the only GW program that allows sophomores to study abroad.

“The program was not created to alleviate the housing shortage on campus,” said MVC Executive Dean Grae Baxter. “It was created to take advantage of a singular opportunity to house all the returning GW World Community students together.”

While the majority of students in the program are studying in Europe, others traveled to Morocco, Hong Kong, Singapore and Perth, Australia. Two students decided not to return to GW for next semester.

One of the students who is not coming back to campus, sophomore Elizabeth Morrow, said she decided to go to Madrid because of the travel stipend she was given – about $700 for students traveling to Western Europe. But Morrow said she left the program because it “was not what they said it would be.”

As a sophomore, Morrow had taken only one semester of Spanish before going abroad but was encouraged to participate in the program anyway. She said advisers usually recommend four semesters of a language before studying abroad.

Morrow said she ended up taking different classes than she thought. She was mixed with students from other programs, Morrow said, and the GW World program did nothing to offer her support while she was abroad.

But University officials said the program serves an important purpose.

Baxter said by living together, students will have the opportunity to discuss their experiences studying abroad. Programs for the community are currently being planned.

Baxter said that the living and learning community will help “get (students) back in the loop” after being away from campus for a semester.

Students in the program also can participate in a nine week, one credit course, “Integrating the International Experience,” which will be taught by Donna Scarboro, director of summer, special and international programs.

Donovan said students she contacted abroad “seemed pleased with the program.” She said she is not sure if the program will continue next year.

Expansion of the Mount Vernon Campus also includes playing fields. NCAA soccer and softball fields are now open, five indoor, bubble-covered tennis courts are scheduled to open in February, and six outdoor tennis courts are scheduled for completion later in the spring.