Staff Editorial: Student suicide

Sadly, GW lost one of its own Monday when sophomore Joe Spradlin committed suicide at home in Atlanta. Spradlin decided not to return to GW this semester after the Thanksgiving break and returned to campus briefly over the weekend to retrieve belongings from his off-campus apartment. Apparently Spradlin was battling depression and intended to seek help after returning home.

The tragedy of this situation is indescribable, especially when the problems Spradlin faced did not have to result in his death. If students can take away anything from Spradlin’s death and those of others in the GW community who have taken their own lives, it is that help is out there. You are not alone. You do not have to kill yourself to find peace.

Suicide is a national problem. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, it is on the rise for people under 25. From 1952 to 1995, the incidence of suicide among young people nearly tripled. And suicide is the third leading cause of death for people 15-25 years old. In 1998, more young adults died of suicide than from cancer, heard disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia, influenza and chronic lung disease combined.

Too often when someone ends his life, the people around him are utterly surprised. People say he seemed His problems were not that serious. He looked fine. But cries for help can be muted, and we all must be vigilant and concerned if a friend is having a difficult time. Encourage friends struggling with depression, stress, anxiety or general unhappiness to visit the University Counseling Center or another mental health professional. And students should never think they are equipped to handle a friend’s problems on their own. Seek help.

The cases of Spradlin, former GW volleyball head coach Yvette Morehead and others are shocking – and shock is a good emotion for those of us left to feel. We should be shocked into compassion for the people around us and shocked into action to prevent more suicides. Everyone has potential and self worth. No one should feel alone here. No one should go without the help they need.