WEB EXCLUSIVE: GW wins Colonial Classic, Monroe Earns MVP

Posted Nov. 26, 10:45 p.m. — Chris Monroe scored 34 points in GW’s 116-102 win over Yale University at home Saturday, sealing the Colonials’ eighth consecutive Red Auerbach Colonial Classic Championship. GW advanced to Saturday’s game with a 69-52 win over Binghamton University Thursday.

After trailing Yale by as many as 14 in the second half, the Colonials rallied with a 17-5 run. Greg Collucci hit a three-pointer that gave GW the lead 71-68 with 4:20 remaining. The shooting guard set a team record with eight three-pointers in the game en route to a 26-point effort, connecting on half his shots with no attempts inside the arc. The team made a record 16 three-pointers in the game.

GW built an 11-point lead with 51 seconds remaining in regulation, but Yale rallied with two steals and three three-point strikes, the last of which came at the buzzer to send the game into overtime.

The Colonials dominated the overtime period, outscoring the Bulldogs 27-13. GW made 20 consecutive free throws in overtime, which head coach Karl Hobbs said made the difference in the game. The period began with back-to-back three-pointers by Collucci and Monroe, and Yale could not retake the lead.

Monroe, who scored 22 points in GW’s Saturday defeat of Binghamton, was named tournament Most Valuable Player.

This marks the second time this season the Colonials erased an imposing deficit with a second-half run. The Colonials clawed back from an 18-point hole in their 69-64 defeat of Marshall University Nov. 15.

Hobbs said his team was fortunate to win the hard-fought game and credited Yale’s coaching staff for the team’s discipline.

“I thought we panicked at the end, but I was very proud of how we held our composure and how we maintained ourselves,” Hobbs said, according to GW Sports Information. “We settled down in overtime and put the game away.”

GW (3-2) will face Boston University at 7:30 p.m. at the Smith Center Wednesday.