Nation in Brief

Condit receives grand jury subpoena

A federal grand jury has subpoenaed Rep. Gary A. Condit (D-Calif.) for documents related to his relationship with missing intern Chandra Levy.

Sources close to the investigation told The Washington Post that federal officials are looking into the possible obstruction of justice by Condit and want to examine everything from telephone message slips to his calendars.

The FBI and Metropolitan Police involved in the case were temporarily reassigned after Sept. 11, but are now back on investigation, The Washington Post reported.

Levy, the 24-year-old congressional intern, has been missing since April 30.

Aviation security bill passes

After weeks of differences on who should manage the nation’s airport security system, Congress on Friday sent President George W. Bush the most sweeping aviation security bill in decades.

The bill would make all baggage screeners and supervisors federal employees within one year. But after three years, airports could stop using federal workers and higher screeners from private firms, a system used now. Critics said the new bill is a temporary solution to a much larger problem.

Under the provisions, pilots would also be allowed to carry guns, and more federal air marshals would travel on flights. The bill would also up the mandatory fees included on each passenger ticket to as much as $5.

Bush is expected to sign the bill today.

Laura Bush gives presidential radio address

First Lady Laura Bush took the place of her husband on Saturday and delivered his weekly radio address, the first time a president’s wife took his place on air.

Bush spoke about the plight of women in Afghanistan who routinely face oppression from the Taliban. After the Taliban took control there, women were not permitted to work and girls were denied schooling after age eight, she said.

The broadcast coincided with a State Department report released Saturday that detailed the treatment of women in Afghanistan.

Congress offers $2.6 billion to improve elections

Leaders on Capitol Hill last Wednesday presented a $2.6 billion plan that would improve the nation’s voting system, one year after controversy erupted over the Bush-Gore election.

The money would allow states to purchase new voting equipment, train poll workers and do a better job of maintaining voter registration data.

Republicans said they have a commitment from House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) to take up the legislation this year.

But the bill could stall because civil rights activists said it does not establish uniform standards for access to voting machines for people with disabilities.

-Zeb Eckert