Letter to the Editor: Greeks ignored?

I awoke Nov. 12 excited to read The Hatchet. My fraternity, Tau Kappa Epsilon, hosted our annual fall philanthropy event, the Turkey Bowl, Nov. 10, and The Hatchet knew about it. I assumed The Hatchet would cover it.

Most of GW’s sororities joined my fraternity brothers and I to play football. All of the sorority sisters had fun, as did my fraternity brothers. And through our combined efforts, we raised almost $1,000 to support the Sept. 11 relief efforts.

But when I read The Hatchet, I did not find a single mention of the event. I realized the only time The Hatchet mentions the Greek community is when it has something negative to say. The exploits of Zeta Beta Tau and Sigma Alpha Epsilon are front-page news. But positive actions taken by the Greek community are almost never covered. Turkey Bowl is just one example.

I have witnessed countless community service projects and philanthropy events. Whether it is Delta Gamma’s annual Anchor Slam or Delta Tau Delta’s work with area little league teams, the efforts of Greek organizations continue to contribute to the community. But The Hatchet seems to miss these events and instead portrays the Greek community at GW negatively.

I cannot figure out why The Hatchet, which prides itself on informing readers of all things GW, would continue to promote this false image. I understand the negative aspects of Greek life are considered “newsworthy,” but I believe it is incredibly interesting that every fraternity and sorority continues to contribute to the GW community despite not receiving recognition.

-Brian Finnegan
senior