Staff Editorial: Services rendered?

Students in City Hall complain they are not receiving the services they pay for. And their complaints have merit. Repeated promises to wire the building for internet access went unfulfilled until Tuesday, and assurances that GW will upgrade laundry facilities are still empty words. The University should act swiftly to fix the problems in City Hall and alleviate students’ concerns.

City Hall houses more than 500 students, yet there are only four washers and dryers for the entire complex. When one load of laundry takes about an hour and a half to wash and dry, four machines is far from adequate for so many people. According to residents, GW promised to fix the problem by mid-October. But so far no new machines have been installed.

Wiring the building for high-speed internet access was completed Tuesday. Students say they were originally told the rooms would be wired by September. Still, residents are charged a technology fee for technology they are just now receiving at the end of the semester.

The problems at City Hall should be fixed immediately, and students’ bills should only reflect charges for amenities they had access to. Charging residents for an entire semester’s use of internet access when it is installed at the end of the semester is wrong. And so is breaking promises.