Colonial women host Hartford

A home win against the University of Hartford would be a nice start to the women’s basketball season. But head coach Joe McKeown said he is more concerned about defining roles in his early games than notching wins.

McKeown is less concerned with Hartford’s lineup, which includes 12 returning starters from last year’s NCAA Tournament team, and more concerned with his own players.

“I think playing well for us early in the season is having everyone defining their roles, and then expecting more to come out of that,” he said.

Led by All-Conference players Janeka Lopp and Kenitra Johnson, Hartford went 15-14 last season under head coach Jennifer Rizzotti, a seasoned leader with two WNBA championships and one national championship under her belt.

With such a deep and versatile team, McKeown is not certain of his starting lineup or how much playing time each member will see. He said the game will be the first step in answering questions he has about his point guard slot and about the return of Cathy Joens.

The rotation will most likely be with Marsheik Witherspoon, Lindsey Davidson, and Cathy Joens. Although Lindsey Davidson had a great year for the Colonials last season, McKeown said he is considering the speedy sophomore Witherspoon to run the point. McKeown is unsure if Witherspoon will start but said she is becoming more comfortable with her new role of running the floor.

The status of Joens is also in the air for the opener. McKeown said he is excited to have her back, although he does not know how much she will be able to play right away.

“If you can play, you can play, and you shouldn’t be labeled by your position,” McKeown said.

With this in mind, expect to see constant switching among players and positions.