WEB EXCLUSIVE: Shimon Peres addresses students at conference

Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres called for Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat to “stop talking and start doing” and vowed Israel’s support for the U.S. war on terror in an address before 4,000 delegates at the United Jewish Communities General Assembly conference Sunday in Washington. The audience included about 800 college students.

“We will judge you by your deeds, not words,” Peres said, responding to Arafat’s speech before the United Nations yesterday where he blamed Israel for violating the cease-fire and practicing “ethnic cleansing.”

“We are not interested in seeing Palestinian suffering . we wish for them to stop being our enemy and start being our friend,” he said, reiterating calls by many world leaders for a two-state solution.

He said the Palestinians will only achieve independence once Arafat has control over his people and activities within his territory.

“The only thing that holds back a solution . is terror,” he said. Peres said the use of terrorism on the part of Arafat will not work to his advantage because Israel did not make peace with Egypt or Jordan because of terror.

Peres also addressed the U.S.-Israel relationship, the nations’ mutual values and the war in Afghanistan.

“All of us stand by Bush’s side for the reason that there is no other side,” he said. “(We are in) the same war, same direction, same determination.”

In a videotaped address from Jerusalem, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon cited similar points. Sharon was originally scheduled to speak Sunday but canceled the trip due to national security concerns.

“The struggle against terrorism is also Israel’s struggle,” he said. “Israel has been fighting Arab terrorism for 120 years.”

Peres and Sharon both addressed recent media reports of a strain in U.S.-Israel relations stating that the countries are united.

“Mr. President, Israel is your ally,” Sharon said.