Preview:Time to get buff

Don’t fill out that transfer application just yet. Here’s your chance to wait in line for tickets, paint your faces buff and blue, cheer for a college team you’ve dreamt about. Or, at least it’s your chance to see Pat Summit.

In the most anticipated GW game of the year, the Colonial women, will host the No. 2 team in the country, the Tennessee Lady Vols (31-2 last season), on Nov. 27. Students, get your butt out of that chair and get your free tickets.

Here are some story lines, if you need one. GW has lost once at the Smith Center in two years. But they’ve never beaten the No. 2 team in the country. Tennessee has the best recruiting class in the country. GW has the sixth best, according to U.S. News. Lady Vols head coach Pat Summit shaking hands with GW head coach Joe McKeown after the game – that is worth the price of your free ticket.

With GW’s talented roster and 5,000 screaming fans in attendance, the game promises to be an exciting early-season battle between two teams that should head deep into the NCAA Tournament this season.

Here’s another reason why you should go: Xavier. The team that kept GW from the top spot in the Atlantic 10 and knocked them from first place in the A-10 Tournament also ousted Tennessee from the NCAA Tournament, beating them in the Sweet Sixteen last season.

Beyond that, it’s a huge event for GW sports, and who better to bring it than the women’s basketball team? Under the tutelage of McKeown, the women have ranked in the top 25 in the nation 10 of the past 11 seasons. They run a respected and successful program that has resulted in nine NCAA tournaments and seven A-10 Championships.

Despite losing Tamika Catchings the Lady Vols will bring a talented team with rock-solid defense and technical ball handling skills. Kara Lawson will return this year seeing more time at the two-guard, allowing her to be even more of an offensive threat. Senior center Michelle Snow will continue to dominate the boards in the frontcourt. Junior forward Gwen Jackson, the top returning scorer for the Lady Vols, is out for two weeks after knee surgery.

Like most of you, I wasn’t around for Mike Jarvis and the men’s basketball magic of the mid-1990s. I wasn’t here for the team’s UMass upset in 1996, when GW defeated the top-ranked Minutemen. I wasn’t around for the women’s trip to the Elite Eight in 1997. So this is a chance. If you miss this shot, don’t say I didn’t warn you, and go ahead and mail that transfer application.