Preview: Men’s Atlantic 10 West

XAVIER

Last Season: 21-8, 12-4 in A-10 (T-2nd)
Head Coach: Thad Matta (1st season)
Plays GW: Jan. 17 at Smith Center, Feb. 14 at Xavier

Despite the departure of head coach Skip Prosser and the subsequent loss of key recruit Vytas Denelius, Xavier is a favorite to win the A-10 West. Last season’s A-10 Player of the Year David West should ensure Xavier’s its sixth-consecutive 20-win season.

But the Musketeers have a challenging regular season ahead featuring four teams that reached the NCAA’s last year. West will continue to be one of the premier post players in the country, but the key for Xavier will be his supporting cast.

Xavier needs senior guards Romain Sato and Lionel Chalmers to fill the void left by the departures of Maurice McAfee and Lloyd Price on the perimeter. If Xavier does not have a scoring threat from the outside, other teams will have an easier time putting pressure on West. Xavier will also rely on forward Kevin Frey to take pressure off West inside.

DAYTON

Last Season: 21-13, 9-7 in A-10 (T-5th)
Head Coach: Oliver Purnell (8th season)
Plays GW: Jan. 9 at Dayton, Feb. 21 at Smith Center

Dayton won 20 games and advanced to the National Invitation Tournament third round last season with seven freshmen on its roster. Sophomore center Keith Walekowski, who had a standout freshman year, will be one of the better big men in the conference this season.

The Flyers also have two solid point guards in Ramod Marshall and David Morris. While the guards will compete for minutes at the point, they will both be important contributors to a team that finished second in the A-10 in assists per game last year.

Dayton is more experienced this year but no players have developed into the type of scoring threat the team had in Tony Stanley last year. If players like Morris and Marshall cannot fill that void in the back-court, Dayton will find itself back in the NIT. If the team’s perimeter play is solid and Walekowski develops into a premier center, the Flyers will have a legitimate shot at an NCAA bid.

GW

Last Season: 14-18, 6-10 in A-10 (7th)
Head Coach: Karl Hobbs (1st season)

LA SALLE

Last Season: 12-17, 5-11 in A-10 (8th)
Head Coach: Billy Hahn (1st season)
Plays GW: Jan. 13 at Smith Center, Feb. 2 at LaSalle

While Rasual Butler led the A-10 in scoring last season, LaSalle finished second to last in scoring as a team. There isn’t much talent behind Butler. Making matters worse, Explorers second-leading scorer from last year is gone and players will adjust to a new head coach.

Butler will continue to be a great player, but his effectiveness in games could decrease this season given the lack of other threats to distract opponents. Julian Blanks will probably be the only other player to flirt with respectability on the court, as no other returning player scored more that 3 points per game last year.

DUQUESNE

Last Season: 9-21, 3-13 in the A-10 (10th)
Head Coach: Danny Nee (1st season)
Plays GW: Jan. 6 at Smith Center, Feb. 16 at Duquesne

Forward Wayne Smith must elevate his game for his team to be anything but terrible. If others follow his lead, the Dukes prove a semi-formidable threat on the court.