Collucci, Thompson shine in rout

The men’s basketball team scored 95 points for the second-straight game in a blowout victory against Team Vantaa at the Smith Center Saturday night. Team Vantaa of Finland’s Pussihukat Club featured three players from the Finland National Team but was no match for GW, as the Colonials shot 51 percent from the field en route to a 95-63 victory.

Chris Monroe led four Colonials who scored in double-digits. Monroe finished with a game-high 23 points, followed by Greg Collucci, who scored 21 on 6-of-13 shooting from behind the arc. Collucci, who averaged only 3.9 points in 8.5 minutes a game last season, led all players in minutes played Saturday night with 35.

Asked after the game if he has the stamina to go 35 minutes in the team’s upcoming road trip, Collucci said, “I’m gonna have to.” GW will play without Darnell Miller and Marquin Chandler, who are suspended for three games and 11 games apiece from NCAA violations last year.

Point guard T.J. Thompson was impressive on the offensive end with 10 assists to complement his 11 points. Thompson played 34 minutes and did not sit down until midway through the second half.

The Colonials began the game with a three-guard lineup of Thompson, Monroe and Collucci, and started Tamal Forchion and Jaason Smith in the front court. The rout began early for GW, as the team got out to a 7-0 lead and held Team Vantaa scoreless to the 2:40 mark.

The Finlanders battled back, tying the game at 10 with just under 13 minutes left in the first half, but had little success after that. The Colonials went on a 17-3 run over the next five minutes with Chris Monroe contributing 10 points.

After Team Vantaa got a few points from the free-throw line, GW went on a 17-2 run over the next five minutes and went into halftime leading 53-28.

In the second half, the Colonials set an immediate tone. With just under a minute gone, Jaason Smith drew a charge and Collucci came down the other end and hit a 3-pointer.

While Team Vantaa was more competitive in the second half, they were never able to cut into GW’s large lead. The Colonials continued to shoot in excess of 50 percent from the field and contained Team Vaanta with good inside defense, led by Jason Smith’s three blocks. Tamal Forchion was also solid in the paint, with 9 points and 7 rebounds in 18 minutes.

Throughout much of the game, GW’s offense was running on all cylinders. Thompson was able to penetrate with ease and made some dazzling drives and passes, and Greg Collucci’s 3-point shot was on target from the outset. Monroe showed his versatility with a balance of long jump shots and strong drives, and Smith was consistently effective in the post.

Head coach Karl Hobbs emphasized better ball movement throughout the first half but said his team improved in the second half.

“My guys were so ready to play and wanted to attack, and I thought they needed to have a little bit more poise and patience,” Hobbs said. “We played the first half like an inexperienced team, which is what we are, and in the second half I think we settled down a little bit and ran the offense better.”

Starting in place of the suspended Darnell Miller, Thompson looked comfortable running the offense in just his second game. Thompson was also impressive on the defensive end with four steals.

If Thompson continues to progress this quickly, the battle between he and Miller for the starting point guard spot should be interesting.

Hobbs said he is confident opening the season with Thompson at the point but realizes Thompson’s limitations.

“He’s going to play against more athletic point guards now, and he’ll be challenged a little bit more,” Hobbs said. “He’ll have to make better decisions, but I’m very pleased with what he’s done thus far.”

Hobbs gave walk-on Terrance Ealey time at the point. But Ealey was clearly uncomfortable running the offense and went scoreless with two turnovers and no assists in 10 minutes. Ealey may see time in the team’s upcoming road trip, as GW will need someone at the point when Thompson takes a breather.

With the regular season about to start, Hobbs said his team still needs to make significant improvements on defense and in rebounding in particular. Although GW out-rebounded Team Vantaa by 10, Hobbs said he was still unhappy about giving up 33 rebounds to them at home.

“We’re not a big physical team,” he said. “So there are some major concerns from me as a coach about our rebounding.”

About 1,600 people attended the game, including L.A. Lakers scout Kevin Greevey and Washington Wizards guard Richard Hamilton, a former player under Hobbs at the University of Connecticut.

The Colonials will travel to Lexington, Ky., on Thursday, where they will begin the regular season against Marshall University in the NABC Classic at Rupp Arena.