Letter to the Editor: Support GIs abroad

Do you remember Sept. 11? Do you remember how you felt? I remember feeling a sense of frustration and vindictiveness. We are the most powerful nation in the world, the symbol of freedom and democracy, and this attack only strengthened this belief and made us realize our fight for freedom is never over.

Now, almost two months later, this feeling of patriotism has begun to slide. College students have protested our efforts by burning flags. People have begun to suggest that “maybe we should do nothing in retaliation.”

Everyone has the right to their opinions, but not supporting the president and troops abroad during a national crisis demonstrates these protesters appreciate our freedoms, but not enough to fight for them.

Nov. 11 is exactly two months after the terrorist attacks, and it is also Veterans Day. On that day, a number of student groups are joining College Republican chapters across the country to take part in a nationwide series of rallies to support our troops fighting for our freedom and our democracy. This rally will show the country that college students are united in their support for our county and the policies that have been enacted by our president.

Please come out and show your support for our president, our veterans, our troops and the fight against an evil power and their cowardly attempts to rid the world of all we have fought for in the last 225 years.

-Erik F. Yassenoff
junior